This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7653 / 55°45'55"N
Longitude: -4.1754 / 4°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 263607
OS Northings: 654580
OS Grid: NS636545
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.9ZXK
Mapcode Global: WH4QT.TCW3
Plus Code: 9C7QQR8F+4R
Entry Name: 12, 14 Hunter Street, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 8-12 (Even Nos) Hunter Street
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396058
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48655
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Mid 18th century weavers' cottages. Single storey row of 3 properties. Squared and snecked rubble with painted margins and base course.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window with deeply recessed door flanking in right bays; door with 5-pane fanlight and single window to right and 2 windows to left in centre; single window to left; door with bipartite window to right and adjoining window to left in left bays.
SW ELEVATION: blind gable.
NW ELEVATION: modern extensions cover 2 3rds of elevation; single window with grille in right bay.
NE ELEVATION: adjoining building.
12-paned glazing in 1st 4 windows from right; modern windows to left. Slate roof; straight skews; central coped stack; brick stack in rear skew of SW gable.
Although much altered, this row of cottages is the only existing example of weavers' cottages in East Kilbride. Their composition of two windows, door and single window is typical of the design of weavers' cottages; the two windows allowed maximum light to penetrate into the weaving room. Originally these cottages would have been thatched but were gradually slated in the early 20th century. The last thatched house in East Kilbride was in Hunter Street and was finally slated in 1931. Weaving was one of the main industries of the village and an incentive for house building, as during the eighteenth century it was a cottage industry. Due to the prominence of this industry at the end of the 18th century there was a fifth more women in East Kilbride than men. This population pattern gradually changed and this coincided with the industrialisation of the weaving. In 1783 Colonel Torrance erected a cotton mill on Mains Street (now the Torrance Hotel, see separate list description). The last weaver, Mary Somerville, died in 1906.
Other nearby listed buildings