This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7637 / 55°45'49"N
Longitude: -4.1778 / 4°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 263451
OS Northings: 654407
OS Grid: NS634544
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.9Z9S
Mapcode Global: WH4QT.SDRB
Plus Code: 9C7QQR7C+FV
Entry Name: Brousterland, East Kilbride
Listing Name: Brousterhill, Brousterlands
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26619
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 17th century; refronted mid 18th century; later additions. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay plain classical laird's house. Droved ashlar to entrance front with raised margins; painted harl to rear with exposed margins.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: quoins at arrises. Lugged architraved doorway with 2-leaf panel door; 2 single windows flanking on either side. 5 single windows at 1st floor. Single storey extension to left links house with old byre.
SE ELEVATION: single storey extension at ground.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: central large single window; small window, square in proportion, above. Single windows in right and left bays at ground and 1st floor. 2 large dormer windows in attic.
NW ELEVATION: central single window at ground floor.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; crowstepped gables; beaked skewput; coped ashlar stacks at gableheads.
OUTBUILDING: squared and snecked rubble, harled and painted SE elevation. 4-bay single storey building converted into offices. Door with 2 windows flanking to left, single window to right on NW elevation; bipartite window in centre of SE elevation; single window in right bay on NW elevation. Sash and case windows. Slate roof; straight skews; 3 coped stacks.
BYRE: single storey building; painted harl; converted into living space. Door in right bay; small central window square in proportion; round arched window to left. Slate roof; crowstepped skews; stacks at gableheads.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: tall garden wall; squared and snecked rubble with coping. Square ashlar gatepiers with coped caps; modern wrought-iron gates.
This is one of the oldest surviving dwelling houses in East Kilbride. The first known owner of the house was John Smith, who lived with his mother. Unfortunately for the family, in 1736, John Smith was declared bankrupt; James Wardrop of Duncanrig bought Brousterland the following year. In 1790, the house was rented by the Parish Church as the minister's manse and it remained a manse until the death of the Reverend James French in 1835. In the 1830s, a new manse was built by the Parish Church, in Stuart Street (see separate list description).
Other nearby listed buildings