This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.951 / 55°57'3"N
Longitude: -3.1087 / 3°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 330865
OS Northings: 673661
OS Grid: NT308736
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.Y3JX
Mapcode Global: WH6SN.6PY8
Plus Code: 9C7RXV2R+9G
Entry Name: Churchyard, St Mark's Episcopal Church, St Mark's Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 287 Portobello High Street and St Mark's Place, St Mark's Episcopal Church, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364335
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27245
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200364335
Electoral Ward: Portobello/Craigmillar
Traditional County: Midlothian
Tagged with: Churchyard
1826 with later alterations by Hay and Henderson, 1892. 3-bay rectangular-plan Neo-Classical church with churchyard. Polished ashlar to NE elevation, squared and snecked sandstone with droved ashlar dressings to original side elevations; bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone to later chancel to rear. Broad base course to outer bays of front elevation, broad entablature with dentilled cornice and blocking course.
NE (PORTOBELLO HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: semicircular bowed bay to centre with 4 engaged Roman Doric columns; 4 ashlar steps with wrought-iron handrails; 3-leaf panelled door to centre with ovoid-paned fanlight above; blinded windows flanking. Consoled and pedimented windows to outer bays with balustraded aprons, round-arched lights set in timber panels. Doric pilasters clasping angles.
SE (ST MARK'S PLACE) ELEVATION: 4-bay with later 2-bay addition. Round-arched windows at ground, segmental-arched windows above with round, leaded openings. Round-arched architraved doorway to gabled porch in bay to right of later addition; boarded door with semicircular plate glass fanlight above; window at 1st floor with rusticated architrave and leaded glass to segmental-arched opening. Window at 1st floor outer left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: Venetian window to centre with rusticated architrave.
NW ELEVATION: as SE elevation except blank bays to later chancel.
Leaded windows, some with stained glass. Grey slate piend and platformed roof to original with flat-headed dome above semicircular bay to centre of principal elevation; piended slate roof to chancel to rear.
INTERIOR: 3 glazed doors with original brass fittings; multi-paned cupola to stairwell; decorative plasterwork to dome; stone stairs with original cast-iron balustrade; deep-set doors as entrances at 1st floor to gallery with reeded to architraves; Grecian plaster cornice with later panelling to ceiling. Gallery to NE; boarded dado; timber balustraded rail. Pews mostly removed. Modern vestibule. Marble plaques to each side between 3rd and 4th bay. Stained glass windows to 4th bay on each side dated 1892, SE side- David and Jonathan; NW side- Good Samaritan by Ballantine and Son. Depressed arch with carved corbels to chancel which is raised. Panelled stone font; modern timber lectern to each side of chancel arch. Oak altar with tripartite pilastered and pedimented brown marble reredos incorporating gravestone of 1843 and 1847, beneath stained glass window of crucifixion and saints of 1919. Organ to right of chancel by D and T Hamilton, 1872, rebuilt by Ingram, 1899 and later in 1972 by Ronald L Smith.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced pedestrian gateways to outer let and right to High Street; quadrant walls to central carriage gateway; cast-iron gates (now cut down to half size). Coped rubble walls to side and rear.
GRAVEYARD: well-planted with gravestones along boundary wall; cast-iron to SW.
The church, which was initially only nominated a chapel (known as the Chapel of Ease), was built in opposition to St John's Chapel which had been erected in Brighton Place, Sandford Gardens in 1825. The construction of St Mark's was paid for by Colonel Robert Haliburton, and was opened by Rev Mr Daly, rector of Powerscourt, near Dublin. It was consecrated as a church on 21st August 1928. The right of the Vestry to use the surrounding land as a burying ground was won during the latter half of that year. During the period of 1842-52, the building was bought by the then rector of the church from the widow of Colonel Haliburton and then was sold to the congregation. (Baird pp 459-461) "..a few years ago a great improvement was made upon the appearance of the church by the addition of a chancel, the removal of the side galleries, and the reseating of the area; its internal appearance being now more in keeping with the Episcopal form of worship." (Baird pp 461). The NMRS holds a copy of a lithograph which shows the church as it was prior to the alterations. The windows to the outer bays of the NE elevation were 24-pane sash and case windows, and the rendered openings flanking the entrance and part of the bay to centre were 12-pane sash and case windows.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings