History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 Brighton Street, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9464 / 55°56'46"N

Longitude: -3.1894 / 3°11'21"W

OS Eastings: 325816

OS Northings: 673230

OS Grid: NT258732

Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.GW

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.ZSFT

Plus Code: 9C7RWRW6+G7

Entry Name: 7 Brighton Street, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 5, 7 and 9 Brighton Street

Listing Date: 29 July 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 366145

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28352

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1821. 5-storey, 12-bay (arranged 6 - 6) plain, classical tenements, forming terrace. Ashlar, polished at ground, droved above, rubble to gable. Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor; eaves cornice; projecting cills. Timber panelled doors with margined fanlights. Additional door to outer left bay (possibly former pend).

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Double pitch roof, grey slates. Straight ashlar skews, corniced ridge stacks, end stack rebuilt in brick, cyclindrical clay cans.

Statement of Interest

A large terrace of well proportioned early 19th century classical style tenements with good stone detailing and making a strong streetscape contribution to the area The tenements form an integral part of the early formal town planning, part of the development of the Southside following the demolition of the Trades Maiden Hospital on Bristo Place.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

These buildings in Brighton Street first appear in John Wood's map of Edinburgh, dated 1823. Brighton Street was constructed in the rear garden grounds of the former Merchant Maiden Hospital, which relocated to Lauriston in 1818. James Kirkwood's map of 1821 indicates buildings under construction along the then titled Anderson Street.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.