This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9486 / 55°56'54"N
Longitude: -3.2062 / 3°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 324770
OS Northings: 673493
OS Grid: NT247734
Mapcode National: GBR 8LH.13
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QRF4
Plus Code: 9C7RWQXV+CG
Entry Name: 1, 2, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1 and 2 Castle Terrace and 11-17 (Odd Nos) Lothian Road, Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 366427
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28480
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Clark, circa 1824. 4-storey and basement classical tenement block (modern shops built out over basement area to Lothian Road); 9 bays to Lothian Road, 5 to Castle Terrace. Cream ashlar, channelled to ground. Moulded cornice between 2nd and 3rd floors; blocking course. Aproned, moulded and corniced architraves to 1st floor windows.
N (CASTLE TERRACE) ELEVATION: dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors. Bays divided by Doric pilasters, 2-storey to 1st and 2nd floors, single storey to 3rd. Entrance to No 2 in 2nd bay from left: stone steps and platts over-arching basement area; timber panelled door with 3-pane fanlight in Ionic portico with fluted columns on pedestals.
12 pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced stacks with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on low ashlar boundary wall.
Built, and possibly designed, by John Clark on the glebe of St Cuthbert's Church. William Burn produced a feuing plan for the Grindlay Estate in 1825, taking in the glebe. The plan of this area more or less as built appears on Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh. Thomas Hamilton produced elevations for Castle Terrace in 1825, Burn in 1826. The original design may have intended to mirror the pavilion at Nos 1 and 2 Castle Terrace, with the quadrant block of Nos 3 and 4 continued as a straight block between. However Bryce's St Mark's Unitarian Church, built in 1834, intervened. The roadway, altered to take account of the new Western Approach, was laid in 1831. (The plan is shown in Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh.)
Other nearby listed buildings