History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 Castle Terrace, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9485 / 55°56'54"N

Longitude: -3.2056 / 3°12'20"W

OS Eastings: 324807

OS Northings: 673490

OS Grid: NT248734

Mapcode National: GBR 8LH.53

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QRQ4

Plus Code: 9C7RWQXV+CQ

Entry Name: 7 Castle Terrace, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 5-7 (Inclusive Nos) Castle Terrace, Including Boundary Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 366431

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28482

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1850. 2-storey, attic and basement 9-bay curved classical terrace. Cream ashlar, droved to basement. Dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 1st floor; eaves cornice and blocking course. Lugged architraves to doors and windows. Stone steps and platts over-arching basement area; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in outer right bay and 3rd bay from left. Piend-roofed slate-hung dormers.

8-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on low ashlar boundary wall.

Statement of Interest

Built on the glebe of St Cuthbert's Church. William Burn produced a feuing plan for the Grindlay Estate in 1825, taking in the glebe. The plan of this area more or less as built appears on Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh. Thomas Hamilton produced elevations for Castle Terrace in 1825, Burn in 1826. The original design may have been intended to mirror the pavilion at Nos 1 and 2 Castle Terrace, with the quadrant block of Nos 3 and 4 continued as a straight block between. However Bryce's St Mark's Unitarian Church (whose lugged ground floor windows Nos 5-7 and Nos 8-12 Castle Terrace echo), built in 1834, intervened. The roadway, altered to take account of the new Western Approach, was laid in 1831.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.