This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9589 / 55°57'32"N
Longitude: -3.1872 / 3°11'13"W
OS Eastings: 325976
OS Northings: 674624
OS Grid: NT259746
Mapcode National: GBR 8PC.WD
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.0HK5
Plus Code: 9C7RXR57+H4
Entry Name: 37-39 East Broughton Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 37-39 (Odd Nos) Broughton Place and 1 and 2 Gayfield Street
Listing Date: 16 June 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 367401
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28808
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century. Classical L-plan block of houses/ tenements on corner site; near-symmetrical 5-bay (6-bay to ground floor), 2-storey and attic principal elevation to Broughton Place; 4-bay, 2-storey, basement and attic elevation to left to Gayfield Street; to far right to Gayfield Street, slightly later 3-bay, 3-storey basement and attic tenement section. Lightly boasted / droved ashlar (some sections painted); squared snecked stugged stone with dressed margins to rear. Projecting base course; dividing band between ground and 1st floor (defaced to 3-storey section); cill band to 1st floor (defaced to 3-storey section); eaves course and cornice; blocking course. Recessed curved section to corner. Predominantly regular fenestration.
SW (BROUGHTON STREET) ELEVATION: 6 bays to ground floor; to centre left bay, timber-panelled door with letterbox fanlight, flanked to left by 2 windows with recessed aprons below. To centre right bay, timber-panelled door with 4-pane letterbox fanlight, recessed into architraved opening, flanked to right by 2 windows in architraved surrounds with recessed aprons below. 5 bays to 1st floor. 3 dormers to roof.
SE (GAYFIELD STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey section to left: basement windows below pavement level to inner left and outer right bays. Timber door with 9-pane fanlight to inner right bay. 2 dormers to roof. 3-storey section to right: to centre, timber panelled door with tall (blocked) fanlight above; to left and right, top of basement windows visible above pavement level.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation; modern timber door to right; canted dormer to roof.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: to right: 3-storey, 2-bay elevation; round-arched openings to ground floor; opening to right bay forms entry to covered passageway with door to left and right. To left: 4-storey, 4-bay (3-bay to ground floor) elevation; timber-panelled door with letterbox fanlight to centre.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane upper sashes and plate glass lower sashes to right bays to ground floor of SW elevation; 2-pane top hinged casements with inverted T-bar glazing below to 1st and 2nd bays from left to SE elevation to ground floor. Piend roof with curved slate haffits to dormers (canted haffits to central dormer to SW elevation and dormer to rear). 3 rooflights to SE elevation, 2 rooflights to rear. Pitched roof; grey slate; stone skews and skewputts. Corniced, rendered gablehead stack to NW gable; rendered corniced gablehead stack to SW gable; corniced ashlar wallhead stack to SE elevation; corniced rendered ridge stack to SE elevation; circular cans to all stacks.
A good example of smaller scale residential architecture of the early nineteenth century. It also has streetscape and historical value as an element of the Gayfield estate development..
37-39 Broughton Place and 1-2 Gayfield Street form part of the Gayfield Estate, so called because it stands on the former grounds of Gayfield House (East London Street; 1763-5, still extant; separately listed Category A). These lands were feued by the solicitor James Jollie from 1785. Building began on either side of the drive to the house; the building line on the SW of Gayfield Square follows the line of the drive. These developments began to establish the form of Gayfield Square, which forms the heart of the estate. The gardens at the core of the square were preserved from development as early as the 1790s; Sasines record that '..the area of Gayfield Place [is] to remain an open space for all time coming.' Union Street is on the boundary of these lands, the north side being Gayfield land, and the south side of the street built on land at the edge of the adjoining Picardy estate.
Other nearby listed buildings