This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9475 / 55°56'51"N
Longitude: -3.192 / 3°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 325654
OS Northings: 673363
OS Grid: NT256733
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.XG
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YR5X
Plus Code: 9C7RWRX5+25
Entry Name: 31, 33 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 21-25 (Inclusive Nos) George IV Bridge, 17 Merchant Street and 31 and 33 Candlemaker Row
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 367511
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28889
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1845 (probably George Smith). 3-storey 5-bay tenement with Jacobean detailing and shops to ground floor to George IV Bridge; 5 storeys to Merchant Street; 3-storey polygonal/canted extension to Candlemaker Row. Cream ashlar (painted to ground) to George IV Bridge, Merchant Street, and extension to Candlemaker Row (coursed rubble to upper storeys of Candlemaker Row).
E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: base course; consoled cornice to pilastrated ground floor; eaves course and decorative parapet with obelisks to corners. Corniced and consoled windows in moulded surrounds with strapwork over to 1st floor; consoled and corniced windows to 2nd floor. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats at centre and to shops.
N (MERCHANT STREET) ELEVATION: 5 storeys; restaurant and door to flats at ground floor regularly fenestrated; consoled and corniced windows to 3rd floor. Stepped and scrolled gable with apex stack and obelisks to corners.
W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; tripartite window to centre at 2nd floor; otherwise regularly fenestrated. Later dormers to attic and large wallhead stack with window.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to 2nd floor; 4-pane to 1st floor. Corniced end stacks (polygonal to ends) with circular cans; 2 corniced polygonal chimney stalks to SE.
George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western Approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith. The architectural style specified by the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act for the new buildings associated with the developments (including this building) was 'Old Flemish,' a variation on Scotch Baronial owing much to the detailing of Heriot's Hospital.
Other nearby listed buildings