This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9473 / 55°56'50"N
Longitude: -3.1917 / 3°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 325673
OS Northings: 673341
OS Grid: NT256733
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.ZJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YS92
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW5+W8
Entry Name: Frankenstein Pub, 26 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 26 George IV Bridge, Frankenstein Pub (Former Elim Pentecostal Church)
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363733
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26862
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Charles Leadbetter, 1859. Decorated gothic church on asymmetrical site. Cream coursed ashlar with polished dressings to George IV Bridge; ashlar to ground and squared and snecked rubble above to rear. Base course; roll-moulded crocketed eaves course and fleur-de lys-finialled gablehead to George IV Bridge. Chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds with carved label stops to windows and door. Curvilinear tracery to windows.
E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: 4-bays: 2-leaf timber door to left with gothic detailing in pointed-arched doorpiece with stiff-leaf capitals to paired colonnettes. 2-light window with trefoil above; tower in plane of wall with blind circular multifoil opening flanked by turrets with broached finialed spires linked by arcaded parapet. Central gable with fleur-de-lys finial containing tall 3-light window, flanked by smaller 2-light windows and circular windows with mouchettes below, linked by continuous hoodmould at cill level of central window.
W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: flat-headed windows to ground and 1st floors; pointed-arched windows above. String course between 1st and 2nd floors. Flat-roofed 2-bay infill to outer left with drum (cupola lighting stair) to roof. Pitch-roofed V-plan bay to left with 2-light cusped windows to each facet and apex stack. Single windows to outer right and small trefoil high up to centre.
INTERIOR: altered for new use as public house, but ribbed ceiling on foliaged corbels, U-plan gallery on cast-iron columns and pulpit with swept canopy over sounding-board still there.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Built as Martyr's Free Church for the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation (later United Free and then Elim Pentecostal). Now (2000) a public house. Dean of Guild drawings show that the 3-storey tenement with shops at ground floor at Nos 27-30 George IV Bridge was also designed by Charles Leadbetter in 1859 for the Reformed Presbyterians. George IV Bridge formed part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city.
Other nearby listed buildings