History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

21, 22, 23, 24, 25 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9476 / 55°56'51"N

Longitude: -3.1919 / 3°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 325662

OS Northings: 673365

OS Grid: NT256733

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.YG

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YR7X

Plus Code: 9C7RWRX5+26

Entry Name: 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 21-25 (Inclusive Nos) George IV Bridge, 17 Merchant Street and 31 and 33 Candlemaker Row

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 367510

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28889

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1845 (probably George Smith). 3-storey 5-bay tenement with Jacobean detailing and shops to ground floor to George IV Bridge; 5 storeys to Merchant Street; 3-storey polygonal/canted extension to Candlemaker Row. Cream ashlar (painted to ground) to George IV Bridge, Merchant Street, and extension to Candlemaker Row (coursed rubble to upper storeys of Candlemaker Row).

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: base course; consoled cornice to pilastrated ground floor; eaves course and decorative parapet with obelisks to corners. Corniced and consoled windows in moulded surrounds with strapwork over to 1st floor; consoled and corniced windows to 2nd floor. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats at centre and to shops.

N (MERCHANT STREET) ELEVATION: 5 storeys; restaurant and door to flats at ground floor regularly fenestrated; consoled and corniced windows to 3rd floor. Stepped and scrolled gable with apex stack and obelisks to corners.

W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; tripartite window to centre at 2nd floor; otherwise regularly fenestrated. Later dormers to attic and large wallhead stack with window.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to 2nd floor; 4-pane to 1st floor. Corniced end stacks (polygonal to ends) with circular cans; 2 corniced polygonal chimney stalks to SE.

Statement of Interest

George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western Approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith. The architectural style specified by the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act for the new buildings associated with the developments (including this building) was 'Old Flemish,' a variation on Scotch Baronial owing much to the detailing of Heriot's Hospital.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.