History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27 And 28 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9473 / 55°56'50"N

Longitude: -3.1916 / 3°11'29"W

OS Eastings: 325677

OS Northings: 673337

OS Grid: NT256733

Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.0K

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSB3

Plus Code: 9C7RWRW5+W8

Entry Name: 27 And 28 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 27-30 (Inclusive Nos) George IV Bridge and 27 Candlemaker Row

Listing Date: 29 April 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 367513

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28890

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Charles Leadbetter, 1859. 3-storey 6-bay terraced tenement block (4 storeys to Candlemaker Row) with shops to ground floor. Ashlar (painted to ground); squared and snecked rubble to Candlemaker Row.

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: cornice to ground floor; dividing band between 1st and 2nd floors; eaves cornice and blocking course. Windows to upper floors in roll-moulded surrounds. Modern fascia to shop to right; timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight to flats at centre; original shopfront to left with glazed timber panelled door, plate glass fanlight, chamfered surrounds to windows. Piend-roofed dormer to outer right.

W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: corniced shops to ground floor: timber panelled door in 2nd bay from right flanked by windows; glazed timber door in 4th bay from left, 3 windows with modern glazing to left; timber panelled door to flats to centre. Irregularly fenestrated above. Later dormers to attic.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to George IV Bridge, 12-pane glazing and plate glass in timber sash and case windows

to Candlemaker Row. Grey slates. Stone skews; corniced end stacks with circular cans (shouldered wallhead stack to Candlemaker Row).

Statement of Interest

Dean of Guild drawings for the former Martyrs Free Church (separately listed, now Frankenstein Pub) show that both the church and Nos 27-30 George IV Bridge were designed for the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation in 1859 by Charles Leadbetter. George IV Bridge formed part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.