This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9602 / 55°57'36"N
Longitude: -3.1875 / 3°11'14"W
OS Eastings: 325962
OS Northings: 674768
OS Grid: NT259747
Mapcode National: GBR 8PB.VX
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.0GF5
Plus Code: 9C7RXR67+32
Entry Name: Gayfield House, 18 East London Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 18 East London Street, Gayfield House Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 22 September 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368734
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29263
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Charles and William Butter, wrights, 1763-65. 2-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay large classical suburban mansion. Rubble built with ashlar margins (originally harled). Windows with projecting cills, lugged architraves, cornices at ground floor to principal elevation. Pediment, eaves cornice.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays to centre slightly advanced and pedimented. Ionic columned doorpiece with modillioned cornice; shouldered architraved timber panelled door; gothic glazing to fanlight at centre, windows to remaining bays, regular fenestration above; Oculus to tympanum of pediment, and urn finials. 2 windows to left and right of basement.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, curved segmental-headed pilastered porch to centre; blinded window above; regular fenestration to remaining bays.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; windows to centre at each floor, window to left at 1st floor, window to right and blocked windows to left at 2nd floor. Substantial shaped wallhead gable with small round-headed window to centre.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; windows to centre and right at 1st and 2nd floor. Substantial shaped wallhead gable with small round-headed windows to centre.
Timber sash and case with predominantly 12-pane glazing, grey slated piend and platform roof, gableheaded stacks with terracotta cans, ashlar steps oversailing basement.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998. Contains features of exceptional rarity and uncertain date; papier mache ceilings in vestibule and upper landing and painted floorboards in imitation of mahogany and satinised parquet, probably early 19th century. Geometrical staircase with turned balusters. Fine chimneypieces stolen circa 1990.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: later harled, stepped, boundary walls.
Charles and William Butter (father and son) built Gayfield House between March 1761 and mid 1764, it was purchased in 1765 by Thomas, Lord Erskine and his wife Lady Charlotte Hope, daughter of the 1st Earl of Hopetoun. It is similar in design to Ross Park, circa 1736, on south side of the Old Town of Edinburgh, and the curvilinear gables follow those at Bankton House, Tranent, of 1720s and Hope House, Edinburgh, circa 1740. The house has managed to remain largely intact despite various tumultuous periods of ownership, it is now sub-divided between basement and upper floors, and privately owned. The house contains two elements of particular exception - the rococo papier mache ceilings and the painted floors to the vestibule, hall and upper landing. Carved wood and gesso chimneypieces were stolen circa 1990.
Other nearby listed buildings