This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.976 / 55°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.2075 / 3°12'27"W
OS Eastings: 324741
OS Northings: 676545
OS Grid: NT247765
Mapcode National: GBR 8K5.S8
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.P2T2
Plus Code: 9C7RXQGR+9X
Entry Name: 70, 72, 74 Trinity Road And Gatepiers, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 70, 72 and 74 Trinity Road, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370384
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29857
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1790, with many later alterations and additions. 2-storey classical house; irregularly fenestrated 4-stage tower (19th century) with balustraded roof. Cream-painted ashlar; grey harl with ashlar dressings to tower. Corniced eaves and blocking course. Urns and lead herons on eaves.
S ELEVATION: piend-roofed 2-storey 3-light bowed bay to right. Piend-roofed advanced bay to left: single storey balustraded 3-light bay at ground floor; tripartite window above. Later extension to left with 2 3-light jerkin-headed dormers.
E ELEVATION: bowed bay of original house obscured by later conservatory and other additions.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey extension forming approximate T-plan with original house abuts tower; windowless bowed bay at junction. Piend-roofed bowed bay to right obscured by later extension at ground.
Mixture of small-pane glazing and plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced polygonal chimney stalks with circular cans to original house; remainder corniced stacks with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: high ashlar-coped rubble boundary wall. Coursed ashlar gateway with 4 corniced and platformed gatepiers; pedestrian gate to right.
Formerly known as Trinity Grove. Built by David Hunter of Blackness, whose son, Alexander, was a partner of Archibald Constable, Sir Walter Scott's publisher. Acquired in 1811 by Lord Provost Creech (publisher of the 2nd edition of Burns' poems). In 1818 Creech's trustees sold it to John Ballantyne, younger brother of Scott's partner James, who called it 'Harmony Hall.' There is a famous description of the house, garden, and Ballantyne's 'entertainments' there in Lockhart's biography of Scott.
Other nearby listed buildings