This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9767 / 55°58'36"N
Longitude: -3.2064 / 3°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 324813
OS Northings: 676627
OS Grid: NT248766
Mapcode National: GBR 8L5.00
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.Q1BH
Plus Code: 9C7RXQGV+MC
Entry Name: Birnam Lodge And Gatepiers, 76 Trinity Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 76 Trinity Road and 5 Spencer Place, Birnam Lodge, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394111
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46750
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
1864. James Simpson, sympathetic addition, 1890. 2-storey 4 bay asymmetrical gothic villa (now divided, with later additions and alterations). Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, stugged quoins and, random rubble to sides and rear. Decorative bargeboarding in gables and dormers; overhanging bracketed eaves.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in right bay of recessed central 2-bay section; timber panelled door with semicircular fanlight in round-arched opening; carved stone heraldic shield in Tudor-arched frame. Projecting bipartite window with swept leaded roof at ground in left central bay; window with bargeboarded gable breaking eaves at 1st floor above. Advanced bays to outer right and left have canted windows with cornice at ground floor, 2-light arcaded windows with roundel and polychrome banding to gothic relieving arches above at 1st floor.
S (SPENCER PLACE) ELEVATION: 3 bay, with later single storey extension containing entrance to No 5 Spencer Place to right; glazed conservatory adjoins 2 left bays at ground floor; windows with bargeboarded wallhead gables above. 2-light arcaded window at ground in right bay.
Predominantly 3-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Scalloped bargeboarding with kingposts in gables. Grey slates. Stone coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: ashlar coped sandstone rubble boundary walls. 2 sets of ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps.
Dean of Guild (Leith) plans show that the whole left bay (extending right to the back of the house) of the house was an addition in 1890, by James Simpson, the Leith Burgh Architect. It is possible that Simpson was also the architect of the original house.
Other nearby listed buildings