History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8 Leven Street, Bennets Bar

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9417 / 55°56'30"N

Longitude: -3.2033 / 3°12'11"W

OS Eastings: 324940

OS Northings: 672728

OS Grid: NT249727

Mapcode National: GBR 8LK.NK

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.RXTC

Entry Name: 8 Leven Street, Bennets Bar

Listing Date: 23 April 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 371096

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30279

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

George Lyle (Lyle and Constable), 1891 and alterations 1906. Late Victorian public bar interior in plain, later 19th century, 4-storey tenement (not listed). Interior complete with original and 1906 Jacobethan timberwork, stained glass and pictorial tiles.

PUB FRONT: 2 outer bays with timber mullions and decorative leaded glass inscribed with brewery names in gilded letters. Entrance in centre bay: 2-leaf glazed timber panelled door with decorative leaded glass inscribed with brewery names (Jeffrey's and Jenkinson's, Leith) in gilded lettering; brass door furniture.

MAIN BAR: swan-neck pediment over-doors; snug/jug and bottle compartment to left of entrance; snug to right (decorative timber partitions inset with coloured leaded glass); bar counter and ornate 2-tier arcaded gantry to N wall: 3 niches over centre, mirror-backed open arcading and shelved recesses either side; Corinthian colonnettes, fluted frieze, dentilled cornice, balustered parapet with central clock and urn finials. Round-arched arcade (colonnettes with incised shafts and aeolic capitals, enamelled roundels in spandrels) in S wall with bevelled mirrors framed by pictorial tiles with allegorical figures (see Notes). Ornate timber chimneypiece on E wall with enamelled cast-iron inset and floral glazed tiles. Compartmented ceiling with vigorously-moulded plasterwork.

Statement of Interest

Outstanding interior. Originally Marshall's Bar (etched in glass of snug partition, and written on N exterior wall), bought by Bennet family in mid 1920's. Decorative tiles by Wm B Simpson & Sons of St Martin's Lane, London (painted on biscuit tiles manufactured by Maw & Co, Shropshire).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.