This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9414 / 55°56'29"N
Longitude: -3.2024 / 3°12'8"W
OS Eastings: 324992
OS Northings: 672697
OS Grid: NT249726
Mapcode National: GBR 8LK.TN
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.SX7L
Plus Code: 9C7RWQRX+H2
Entry Name: Agricultural Hall, 11-13 Valleyfield Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 11 and 13 Valleyfield Street, the Carpet Mill (Former Agricultural Hall)
Listing Date: 19 February 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392961
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
1868. Single storey, 9-bay Italianate classical facade to former agricultural hall. Ashlar, painted cream with terracotta details. Bays divided by channelled pilaster strips with ball-finials above. Base course; eaves cornice; blocking course.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrically arranged. Pedimented bay to centre; tripartite triple-arched window with keystone and impost blocks. 2-leaf doors with semicircular fanlights in round-arched surrounds with cornices supported on consoles over in inner left and right bays. Later openings with plate glass windows in 3 outer bays to right. Metal garage door and modern metal and glass door in outer bay to left. Small circular openings in 2nd and 3rd bays from left.
Meat markets and slaughter houses were associated with the Grassmarket, King's Stables Road and Portsburgh from the medieval period onwards. In 1843 the cattle and sheep market was moved to a 4-acre site between West Port and Lauriston Place, only the horse market remaining in the Grassmarket. A new municipal slaughterhouse (designed by David Cousin, and demolished in 1912) was opened in 1851 on a site between Gilmore Place and Fountainbrige (where Tollcross Primary School now is). Messrs Oliver and Son established an auction mart in Valleyfield Street. In 1909 a new Edinburgh Coporation Slaughterhouse was built in New Market Road, off Slateford Road (designed by James A Williamson, City Superintendant of Works), and Oliver and Son moved their auction mart to this new site. Although only the facade remains, the trading hall having been lost, this building is a reminder of what was once one of the area's principal trading activities.
Other nearby listed buildings