This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9417 / 55°56'30"N
Longitude: -3.2033 / 3°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 324940
OS Northings: 672728
OS Grid: NT249727
Mapcode National: GBR 8LK.NK
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.RXTC
Plus Code: 9C7RWQRW+MM
Entry Name: Bennets Bar, 8, 10, 12 Leven Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 8 Leven Street, Bennets Bar
Listing Date: 23 April 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371096
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30279
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Lyle (Lyle and Constable), 1891 and alterations 1906. Late Victorian public bar interior in plain, later 19th century, 4-storey tenement (not listed). Interior complete with original and 1906 Jacobethan timberwork, stained glass and pictorial tiles.
PUB FRONT: 2 outer bays with timber mullions and decorative leaded glass inscribed with brewery names in gilded letters. Entrance in centre bay: 2-leaf glazed timber panelled door with decorative leaded glass inscribed with brewery names (Jeffrey's and Jenkinson's, Leith) in gilded lettering; brass door furniture.
MAIN BAR: swan-neck pediment over-doors; snug/jug and bottle compartment to left of entrance; snug to right (decorative timber partitions inset with coloured leaded glass); bar counter and ornate 2-tier arcaded gantry to N wall: 3 niches over centre, mirror-backed open arcading and shelved recesses either side; Corinthian colonnettes, fluted frieze, dentilled cornice, balustered parapet with central clock and urn finials. Round-arched arcade (colonnettes with incised shafts and aeolic capitals, enamelled roundels in spandrels) in S wall with bevelled mirrors framed by pictorial tiles with allegorical figures (see Notes). Ornate timber chimneypiece on E wall with enamelled cast-iron inset and floral glazed tiles. Compartmented ceiling with vigorously-moulded plasterwork.
Outstanding interior. Originally Marshall's Bar (etched in glass of snug partition, and written on N exterior wall), bought by Bennet family in mid 1920's. Decorative tiles by Wm B Simpson & Sons of St Martin's Lane, London (painted on biscuit tiles manufactured by Maw & Co, Shropshire).
Other nearby listed buildings