This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9438 / 55°56'37"N
Longitude: -3.1937 / 3°11'37"W
OS Eastings: 325543
OS Northings: 672948
OS Grid: NT255729
Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.LT
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XVCS
Plus Code: 9C7RWRV4+GG
Entry Name: Nurses Home, Royal Infirmary, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1 Lauriston Place, Royal Infirmary, Former Nurses Home with Linking Conservatory and Fountain
Listing Date: 31 May 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371153
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30309
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, 1890-2. Single storey and attic Queen Anne quadrangle with 2-storey pedimented central and mansard-roofed lucarned corner pavilions, built round a central court and linked to E by a single storey conservatory to the former George Watson's Hospital (separately listed). Red 'pressed' brick with yellow ashlar dressings and decorative banding. Swept bracketed eaves. Decorative lanterns/ventilators to all pavilions.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled 3-bay central block with scrolled, curvilinear pediment; entrance in single storey canted bay; modern 2-leaf door flanked by narrow windows, with 5 small windows over; narrow windows with circular blind openings over to outer bays and returns at ground floor; Serliana at 1st floor level, flanked by smaller windows; 2 small windows with panel above in gable. Recessed 4-bay linking ranges with decorative gabled dormers breaking eaves at attic level in 3 inner bays, slightly advanced flat-roofed outer bays with doors to ground and tripartite stone-mullioned and -transomed windows above. Square corner pavilions: 4 small windows to ground and 1st floors.
N, E AND S ELEVATIONS: as above, but with pedimented advanced centre block, stone-mullioned bipartite windows to ground and 1st floors, circular opening in gable and splayed corners; windows to ground floors of outer recessed bays; bipartite stone-mullioned windows to ground and 1st floors of corner pavilions. Foliate carved plaque above garden entrance to E dated 1891.
CENTRAL COURTYARD AND FOUNTAIN: plain brick with yellow ashlar lintels. 2-tier cast-iron fountain (dolphins etc) with composite stone basin to centre.
INTERIOR: compartmented ceiling to entrance foyer (now shop). Small leaded panes with stained glass to overdoors of several rooms.
CONSERVATORY: pitched-roofed L-shaped conservatory on red brick lower walls with french door to garden to S forms linking corridor to former George Watson's Hospital building to NE.
6-pane upper sashes, 2-pane lower in timber sash and case windows. Geenish slates with terracotta ridging tiles. Brick chimneys with ashlar mouldings and cornices, circular cans. Cast-iron downpipes with urn-shaped hoppers.
A group comprises Lodge (with boundary walls, railings, gates, gatepiers and lamp standards), main block (including linked ward pavilions) of Royal Infirmary, former Watson's Hospital, Medical Pavilions (including Jubilee Pavilion), former Nurses' Home, Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion, former Florence Nightingale Nurses' Home, Chalmers Hospital and 29-33 Chalmers Street (former Queen Mary Nursing Home). Opened 19th December 1892. Built as a new home for the nursing staff of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary; originally comprised 121 nurses' rooms, 6-bed sick room, 16 bathrooms and a large recreation room, with a garden in the centre of the quadrangle. Connected to dining and reading rooms by a conservatory.
Other nearby listed buildings