This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9442 / 55°56'39"N
Longitude: -3.1945 / 3°11'40"W
OS Eastings: 325489
OS Northings: 672992
OS Grid: NT254729
Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.DN
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WVZH
Plus Code: 9C7RWRV4+M5
Entry Name: General, Royal Infirmary, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1 Lauriston Place, Royal Infirmary, Lodge, Forecourt Ramp Walls, Gatepiers, Gates, Boundary Walls, Railings and Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 31 May 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371155
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30310
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Lessels, 1857. Single storey and basement, piend-roofed Italianate lodge situated between gates at entrance to main Infirmary block. Coursed lightly stugged sandstone with polished ashlar dressings; ashlar strips to corners. Key-blocked round-headed surrounds with blocked jambs to windows. Plain bargeboarding to deep eaves.
N (LAURISTON PLACE) ELEVATION: tripartite window in advanced gabled bay.
E ELEVATION: timber panelled door in right bay; tripartite window in advanced centre bay.
S ELEVATION: single window in right bay; bipartite in advanced piend-roofed left bay.
W ELEVATION: 2 single windows.
Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Large corniced stack (bull-faced sandstone with ashlar long and short quoins) with circular cans. Moulded cast-iron rainwater goods.
FORECOURT RAMP WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES, BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: ashlar-coped coursed sandstone retaining walls to forecourt ramp. Panelled ashlar gatepiers with corniced platformed caps. Spear-headed cast-iron gates and railings to Lauriston Place and Meadows, mounted on ashlar-coped boundary walls; rinceau-patterned railings to forecourt ramp; ashlar obelisks echoing those at George Heriot's at intervals to Lauriston Place. Ornate garlanded cast-iron lamp standards on scrolled legs, surmounted by more recent painted metal crowns, mounted on ashlar plinths to corners of forecourt ramp.
A group comprises Lodge (with boundary walls, railings, gates, gatepiers and lamp standards), main block (including linked ward pavilions) of Royal Infirmary, former Watson's Hospital, Medical Pavilions (including Jubilee Pavilion), former Nurses' Home, Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion, former Florence Nightingale Nurses' Home, Chalmers Hospital and 29-33 Chalmers Street (former Queen Mary Nursing Home).
The building of the Lodge is associated with Lessels' work of 1857 when, as architect to the Governors of George Watson's Hospital, he extended the original William Adam Hospital (1738-41 - separately listed), building 2 wings to the S. It therefore predates David Bruce's Royal Infirmary development of 1872-9 (separately listed). George Watson's School and its grounds were sold by the Merchant Company to the Corporation of the Royal infirmary in 1870, when the school moved to the former Merchant Maiden Hospital (William Burn, 1816, demolished to make way for the Florence Nightingale Nurses Home, 1935 - separately listed).
Other nearby listed buildings