This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.818 / 56°49'4"N
Longitude: -5.1073 / 5°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 210449
OS Northings: 773915
OS Grid: NN104739
Mapcode National: GBR FBRP.RD0
Mapcode Global: WH1FR.JW5M
Plus Code: 9C8PRV9V+53
Entry Name: St Andrew's West, Fassifern Road, Fort William
Listing Name: Fassifern Road, St Andrew's East and West (Former Episcopal Rectory and School), Garden Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373108
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31783
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Fort William
Town: Fort William
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Probably Alexander Ross, dated 1880. Long north facing,
asymmetrical 2-storey, irregular 9-bay range, with former
rectory to left (east) and former school to right (west) each
with separate, original entries. All red bullfaced, sneck
coursed granite rubble, with contrasting tooled and polished
sandstone dressings. Projecting gabled bays in east and
centre, also centre rear.
Bowed porch in re-entrant angle (St Andrew's East) rising as
slender circular, 3-storey tower with moulded eaves cornice
and conical slated roof. Moulded corniced and dated doorpiece
with some strapwork decorative detailing. Canted ground floor
bay window in left gable, with crenellated parapet and
pointed-headed bipartites above. Square headed tripartites to
right of entrance with small bowed dormer above. Centre
buttress to centre gable, with sympathetic later fenestration
and original centre cusped rose window; 3-bay arcaded front
to original school, with pointed headed arches divided by
squat polished ashlar engaged columns with
stiff leaf capitals, and with bands of carved foliage in low
relief decorating the inner faces of the arcades. Later
3-light casement windows; 2 later piended dormers above.
Original school entrance in extreme western bay (St Andrew's
West); pointed headed inscribed architrave and flanking
polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capitals; plank
door with ornate cast-iron hinges.
Entrance to single storey vestibule the length of the west
gable lit by continuous pointed arcade composed of diminutive
columns and capitals, buttressed at each end.
To rear, pair original flat headed windows with geometric
tracery and also cusped rose window in gable apex; various
service extensions. Original 2-pane and lattice pane glazing;
also later 3-pane casements. Carved plaque high in east
gable; blocked eaves cornices; moulded stone ridges;
cast-iron apex finials; tall ridge and wallhead coped stacks;
greenish slate roof.
INTERIOR: School now converted as dwelling, but original
chimney piece with inscribed ashlar hood survives; also late
19th century coloured floor tiles to school entrance porch.
Garden walls and gate piers; red bullfaced rubble garden wall
with contrasting ashlar cope, some sections to north,
(Fassifern Road) front have low retaining walls with
ornamental cast-iron railings. Pair square ashlar gate piers
with shaped caps and dogtooth ornamentation. Side and rear
rubble garden walls with shaped glazed pottery copes.
Architrave of former school entrance (St. Andrew's West)
inscribed "Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy
Other nearby listed buildings