This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8188 / 56°49'7"N
Longitude: -5.1092 / 5°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 210335
OS Northings: 774009
OS Grid: NN103740
Mapcode National: GBR FBRP.QGY
Mapcode Global: WH1FR.HW80
Plus Code: 9C8PRV9R+G8
Entry Name: Burial Ground, St Andrew's Episcopal Church, High Street, Fort William
Listing Name: High Street, St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Burial Ground, Lych Gate (To High Street) and Entrance to Bank Street
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373114
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31788
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Fort William
Town: Fort William
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Alexander Ross, Inverness, 1880. Gothic, nave, chancel,
transept (used as vestry) to south opposite tower at north;
cruciform plan, orientated east-west.
All bullfaced, sneck coursed red Abriachan granite with
tooled and polished ashlar contrasting sandstone dressings.
Gabled porch projects at NW; shouldered lintel, flanking
polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capital,
pointed-headed tympanum with figure of St. Andrew and
spandrels carved with thistles and roses.
Low rectangular baptistry on west gable with 3 squat
pointed-headed windows with geometric tracery; similar window
in N gable; angle buttresses; wallhead encircled by low
carved coped balustrade. Large pointed-headed windows in east
(3-light) and west (4-light) gables, also with geometric
tracery. Smaller pointed-headed traceried windows in 4-bay
flanks. Tall, 3-storey square tower rising to spire at NE
with projecting stair turret in east elevation. Occuli in
each face of lower stage, paired round-headed lancets in 2nd
stage, 3rd stage off-set with gabletted angle pinnacles and
with centre louvred windows under gablets in each face
clasping base of slender, ashlar facetted spire rising to
ball finial and weathervane apex, with carved quatrefoil
detailing to annulets, and ring of diminutive lucarnes. Rear
SE vestry with dated lintel and roll moulding to architraves.
All original rhones and down-water goods; flat skews; simple
curved skewputts; slate roofs.
Interior; richly detailed interior in High Gothic manner, all
of considerable quality.
Baptistry entered through traceried screen; vaulted ceiling
with bosses. Centre white Caen stone font with ornate carved
wooden canopy (Harry Hems). Rich mosaic floor (Salviati);
stained glass windows.
Nave; simple bench pews; good sequence of stained glass with
New Testament theme. Pulpit at NE angle of nave; white Caen
stone supported on arches with polished marble columns and
stiff leaf capitals, linking with similarly detailed stair
Chancel; brass eagle lectern; carved oak choir stalls with
"poppy head" pew ends (Harry Hems).
Sanctuary; brass altar rail; ornate mural sedilia in south
and similarly detailed Bishop's throne and aumbry in north
wall. Arcaded reredos across east wall, with 3 Gothic cusped
arches each side of altar framing low relief and centre
crocketted gablet with mosaic Crucifixion (Salviati)
Doors; all Harry Hems. Entrance door in NW porch; double door
with 6 carved panels on outer face representing Good Shepherd
and similar patterns in chequered design to inner face. SW
door (leading to Baptistry); no exterior carving but paired pointed-headed-doors decorated with complex decorative
wrought-iron hinges of intricate design; inner faces carved
with geometric tracery.
Vestry door (at SE); exterior face with "linen fold"
panelling and wrought-iron hinges in stylised floral pattern. Chancel-vestry door; 3 panel door with carvings illustrating
Burial Ground; church surrounded by walled burial ground.
Bullfaced red granite walling with contrasting tooled
sandstone ashlar cope, interspersed at north (High Street
front) with lengths of ornate cast-iron spearhead railings on
low coped retaining wall.
Lych gate; bracketted timber lych gate entrance; with
flanking bench seats and pair wooden gates; red tiled
jerkin-headed roof with decorative tiled ridge and end
Bank Street entrance; gabletted arch with pointed-headed
entrance in west wall, surmounted by bellcote-like
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Built on site of former Rosse Episcopal Chapel, 1817-76.
Present church built largely through generosity of Mr George
Baynton Davey of Spean Bridge. Harry Hems was a gifted late
19th century ecclesiastical woodcarver of Exeter, Devon.
Other nearby listed buildings