History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duncansburgh Parish Church, The Parade, Fort William

A Category B Listed Building in Fort William, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.819 / 56°49'8"N

Longitude: -5.107 / 5°6'25"W

OS Eastings: 210473

OS Northings: 774031

OS Grid: NN104740

Mapcode National: GBR FBRP.RHX

Mapcode Global: WH1FR.JVBT

Plus Code: 9C8PRV9V+J6

Entry Name: Duncansburgh Parish Church, The Parade, Fort William

Listing Name: The Parade, Duncansburgh Parish Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 23 June 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373118

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31792

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fort William

County: Highland

Town: Fort William

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Fort William

Description

David MacKintosh, Oban, dated 1881. Gothic, orientated

north-south. Bullfaced grey sneck coursed rubble contrasting

tooled red ashlar sandstone dressings. North gable with large hoodmoulded, pointed-headed window with geometric tracery; to

east, square, slightly projecting 3-stage tower with entrance

in base. Dated shouldered lintel, with carved relief of

burning bush in tympanum above under moulded and hoodmoulded pointed-headed architrave. Double leaf plank door with

decorative cast-iron hinges. Angle buttresses rise to

pulvinated string course at base of upper stage, which has

louvred pointed-headed openings in each face decorated with

nook shafts. Corbelled and crenellated wallhead.

Narrow round-headed windows with geometric tracery light

4-bay flanks with alternate buttresses; gabled transepts

project slightly at SE and SW, each with large window similar

to that in north gable. Rose window lights south gable. Stiff

leaf apex finials; slate roof.

Interior; Exaggerated bracing to timber roof. Stained glass

in many windows, dated 1881, 1882 and by the Abbey Studios

between 1973 and 1979.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Fort William known as Duncansburgh from 1834; named after

Superior, Duncan Cameron of Fassfern.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.