This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6129 / 55°36'46"N
Longitude: -2.8069 / 2°48'24"W
OS Eastings: 349271
OS Northings: 635774
OS Grid: NT492357
Mapcode National: GBR 83VJ.3R
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.V5KX
Plus Code: 9C7VJ57V+56
Entry Name: Mercat Cross, Old Town, Galashiels
Listing Name: Scott Crescent, Mercat Cross
Listing Date: 12 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373361
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31972
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1695, restored 1887 and 1987. Corniced octagonal red sandstone shaft capped with squared ball finial sundial with wrought iron dated flag on 3-stage stepped and shouldered base plinth. 1930s bronze plaques by George Hope Tait.
The mercat cross has a strong historical significance to old Galashiels, prominently sited on the corner of Scott Crescent and Elm Row at the centre of the Old Town alongside the Tollbooth (demolished 1880). Although altered, it maintains an important historical link with the old town and the adjacent Old Cloth hall, the few remaining structures to the area which was comprehensively redeveloped in the 1960s.
The cross was re-erected on the stepped base in 1887 as part of a restoration scheme. Further works were carried out in 1987, involving stone replacement; part of the original shaft of the cross is now sited in the museum of Old Gala House. As a result of the later works the cross is now sited on a traffic island on a busy crossroads.
Category changed from B to C(S) 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings