This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6128 / 55°36'46"N
Longitude: -2.8073 / 2°48'26"W
OS Eastings: 349247
OS Northings: 635765
OS Grid: NT492357
Mapcode National: GBR 83VJ.1S
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.V5DZ
Plus Code: 9C7VJ57V+43
Entry Name: Old Cloth Hall, Scott Crescent, Galashiels
Listing Name: 23 Scott Crescent, the Hall (The Old Cloth Hall) Including Boudnary Walls and Gateway
Listing Date: 12 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373363
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31974
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
1792, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay, square plan traditional former hall (now converted to flats), with single storey curved section to corner and later piended additions to rear. Central shouldered eaves stack; tripartite windows and margined stair window to rear (S); lugged architraved former doorway to ground floor and external stairs to 1st floor with 20th century porch to W. Later lean-to double garage attached to E. Rendered stonework with smooth painted stone margins and strip quoins; painted base course. Rubble stonework and sandstone margins to curved section to E.
Timber sash and case windows; pitched and piended slate roofs; gable end stacks, tall corniced eaves stacks to rear with octagonal clay cans; cast-iron rooflights and rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAY: rubble walls with angled cope; substantial red sandstone corniced ashlar gateway with boarded door to N wall. Lower random rubble wall to rear joins gateway to Gala House.
The first mill in Galashiels with mechanical carding machines was constructed in 1791 resulting in a great increase in production of cloth. The Cloth Hall was built in response to the resulting increased trade to provide a warehouse and trade centre for the milling industry; without this simple building the textile industry in Galashiels would not have expanded so speedily to the extent that it did.
The Cloth Hall was prominently sited at the centre of the Old Town, adjacent to other traditional 18th century buildings such as the Old Tolbooth, Pant Well, Mercat Cross and Tea Street. Many of the earlier buildings in the immediate area were lost in a comprehensive redevelopment scheme in the 1960s.
The Hall became a public house in 1813 for some years until it was used as the town branch of the City of Glasgow Bank 1844-1849. The single storey curved section with barred windows may be an addition dating from this time. The Hall is also said to have been used as a school in the early 19th century for a time.
The building has undergone additions and alterations over the years and was subdivided to form private flats in the later 20th century, however it remains if significant historical importance due to its strong association with the textile industry of Galashiels.
Category changed from B to C(S) 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings