History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27-29 (Odd Nos) Dundonald Road, St Lukes Greek Orthodox Cathedral

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8791 / 55°52'44"N

Longitude: -4.2989 / 4°17'56"W

OS Eastings: 256281

OS Northings: 667493

OS Grid: NS562674

Mapcode National: GBR 09D.M7

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.YH2C

Entry Name: 27-29 (Odd Nos) Dundonald Road, St Lukes Greek Orthodox Cathedral

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 374924

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32508

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

James Sellars, architect; 1876-77. Apsidal church in Normandy Gothic style, orientated North/South. Stugged coursed ashlar with polished margins and dressings. Main N facade with 90ft high heavily buttressed gable.

At ground level, 3 pairs of pointed-arch windows with colonnette mullions; above 3 tall lancets with 2 orders of nook shafts, blind arcade links buttresses below gable head, latter flanked by octagonal pinnnacles and enclosing a rose window. To the right, steps to simply decorated pointed arch portal with band of foliate carving. Above rises transcept-like tower containing gallery stair. Aisles with four 3-light clerestory windows. Slate roofs.

Interior: some recent minor modifications in accordance with Greek Orthodox worship, but with many original features. 4 arch arcade supported on octagonal columns. Gallery to N supported on brackets with panelled front. Apse to S containing organ; modern Byzantine screen of 5 pendant arches with icons incorporating part of the original screen as

balustrading. Carved octagonal timber pulpit. Stained glass by Stephen Adam, 1877. Timber lined collar-beam roof. Hall and vestry to east.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly Belhaven UP Church.

CHANGE OF CATEGORY; B FOR GROUP TO B 28-7-87.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.