This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8585 / 55°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.2544 / 4°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 258993
OS Northings: 665111
OS Grid: NS589651
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.NM
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.M09M
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5W+C6
Entry Name: 12 Buchanan Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 12 Buchanan Street
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375455
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32630
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Thomson of Baird and Thomson, 1889. Venetian Renaissance commercial buildings; 4-storey and modern attic. 5 bays to Buchanan Street, 6 on S return to lane. Ashlar; modern ground floor shops.
Buchanan Street elevation: pilastered 1st and 2nd floors with single outer windows and central 4-light shallow lozenge bay, central Ionic columnar mullion to 1st floor, waisted with anthemion decoration, all 3 mullions to 2nd floor similarly detailed; 3rd floor swagged Ionic capitals to colonnade, with arched keystoned heads, sculptured swags in panels to parapet; unfortunate modern attic, set in formerly panelled parapet.
Side elevation: pilastered 1st floor; panelled, pilaster strips to 2nd; arcaded 3rd floor, consoled cornice, pedimented central tripartite dormer in panelled parapet. Pitched slate and platform roof.
Plate-glass glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Linked with Nos 116-120 Argyle Street. Plans indicate a basement. Erected as a shop and warehouse for "Matthew Pettigrew, manufacturer in Glasgow and others, Trustees of the late Hugh Fraser, warehouseman, Glasgow", Cost ?6,000.
Other nearby listed buildings