This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8586 / 55°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.2543 / 4°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 258995
OS Northings: 665118
OS Grid: NS589651
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.NL
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.M0BK
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5W+C7
Entry Name: 16 Buchanan Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 16 Buchanan Street
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375456
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32631
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Thomson, 1888-9, and 4th floor and above added circa 1904-5 by Frank Burnet, Boston and Carruthers. Simplified Venetian Renaissance commercial building; 7-storey with attic, 5 bays to Buchanan Street and 2 bays on return to Morrison Court. Ashlar; modern ground floor shops; pilastered panels to 1st, pilasters to 2nd floor; swagged Ionic capitals to colonnade to 3rd with arched keystoned heads, pilastered and keyblocked 4th floor windows; colonnaded 5th floor with recessed arched windows, architraved 6th, modillion cornice, tripartite pedimented dormer in balustraded parapet. Pitched slate and platform roof. Plate-glass, sash and case windows.
No 12, listed separately above, was also by Thomson, and the similarities in basic design, suggest that this adjoining section was a contemporary, economy variant. Thomson's work was for Messrs Brown, Smith and Co, who turned to Burnet, Boston and Carruthers for the addition of the upper storeys. Original building cost ?6,000.
Other nearby listed buildings