This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8585 / 55°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.2422 / 4°14'31"W
OS Eastings: 259755
OS Northings: 665088
OS Grid: NS597650
Mapcode National: GBR 0PM.4M
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.T02L
Entry Name: 119-129 High Street
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375583
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32721
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A B McDonald, 1898. 5-storey tenement with 16th century Dutch details and with shops at ground. Red sandstone, ashlar to E (principal) elevation, squared and snecked to W (rear); red brick S side elevation, harling to N Chamfered reveals; stone mullions.
E ELEVATION: carriage pend to outer left and former door to close off-centre to right; shop facades in remaining bays, divided by polished Peterhead granite pilasters and with sandstone ashlar corniced frieze above. 8 symmetrical bays above ground, articulated with full-height canted windows to centre and outer bays, each with shaped gable; bipartites in intervening bays. Cill courses to each floor.
Canted bays at 1st floor with semi-circular pediment detail above centre lights, repeated in open form at 3rd floor; each 3rd floor window corniced, with strapwork and escutcheon carving to aprons. Moulded cornice below ashlar coped parapet, broken at centre. Corniced keystones to recessed semi-circular panels in gables of outer bays, finial to wider gable at centre, carved with Glasgow coat-of-arms.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical but with outer bay to right recessed above pend. Bipartities to centre bays, flanked by single windows and bipartite stair windows with semi-circular fanlight below cornice lighting stairwell; single windows in penultimate bays and bipartites to outer bays.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: modern building adjoining to N and Black Bull Inn, 111 High Street adjoining to S, both to 2nd floor height.
Plate glass sash and case windows with 4-pane upper panels to windows of principal elevation. Corniced end and mutual gable stacks; bracketted cornices to angle stacks at rear.
Erected for Central Fire Station, following design of their property at 25-33 Ingram Street; design altered 8th September 1898, with shops at ground, and further additions to area behind linking with Ingram Street section. The petitioner was the Corporation of Glasgow (Police Department); McDonald was architect to the Office of Public Works. Stevenson quotes the cost of the new fire station with its main frontage onto Ingram Street, costing $60,000, and opened in May 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings