This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8672 / 55°52'1"N
Longitude: -4.2566 / 4°15'23"W
OS Eastings: 258887
OS Northings: 666080
OS Grid: NS588660
Mapcode National: GBR 0LJ.6J
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.LS8J
Plus Code: 9C7QVP8V+V9
Entry Name: Cowcaddens Free Church And Hall, 30, 32, 34 Mcphater Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 30-34 Mcphater Street and 3 and 5 Larbert Street, the Piping Centre, Cowcaddens Former Free Church and Hall
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375650
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32755
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Campbell Douglas and Sellars, 1872. Refurbished and converted to a centre for the study and teaching of the art of piping, 1993-96, by McGurn, Logan, Duncan and Opfer. Italianate church, with temple frontage. Cream ashlar sandstone to front and W side, and E side above clerestorey. Base course; cill courses and cornices, with parapets at aisles.
S ELEVATION: 2 storey, advanced and pedimented, ground floor forms plinth with channelled pilaster quoins and tall centre pedimented doorpiece with deep-set 2-leaf panelled doors. 3 bays above shallow portico, of 2 inner columns flanked by paired pilasters; tall corniced and pilastered windows behind. Outer bays, slightly recessed, (left bay base of campanile each with pedimented and pilastered doorway and panelled doors; Greek Key frieze to lintels; E door bay adjoined to Hall.
TOWER: 3-stage squat campanile at SW corner, architraved window at ground to W side, doorway to S (see above); paired openings below round-arched louvred openings with impost course; deep consoled eaves to Roman tiled piend roof.
W ELEVATION: tower to outer right; 5 bays to aisle and set-back clerestorey; 3 segmentally pedimented and pilastered ground floor windows, 2 regularly pedimented; pier mullioned tripartite clerestorey windows; low opening to crypt at N end, on falling ground.
E ELEVATION: adjoined at S end by Hall detailed as W.
HALL: square plan, 3-storey and basement, 3-bay building, now hall but possibly with some residential accommodation originally. Cream sandstone ashlar front. Moulded cill courses at 1st and 2nd floor, and cornice
to S front. Small-paned windows to basement; single windows at centre bay in each floor, and stone mullioned bipartites flanking, all architraved. Stair bay projecting at rear to NW, added later, with brick to N and W sides; doorway at ground to E. Wallhead stacks, one truncated. Slate piend roof with remains of louvred ventilator at apex.
The design echoes the work by Alexander Thomson at the Caledonia Road Church, Glasgow, 1856, and the St Vincent Street Free Church, 1858, in its combination of temple frontage and campanile, and the severity of
Schinkelesque classicism. Seated for over 1,000, the church cost $5,000, rising to $8,000 including the simple addition of the hall.
Other nearby listed buildings