This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8589 / 55°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.2508 / 4°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 259215
OS Northings: 665143
OS Grid: NS592651
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.CH
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NZZX
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5X+GM
Entry Name: Stirling's Library, 48-54 Miller Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 48-54 (Even Nos) Miller Street, (Formerly Stirling's Library)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375656
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32761
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Smith, 1863-5, completed after his death by Melvin and Leiper. 3-storey, 7-bay astylar facade to library, in Italian Renaissance design. Cream ashlar with deeply channelled pilasters and outer bays at ground. Wide semi-circular keystoned arches in outer bays (pend at N
door with shafted entrance at S), central door and 4 flanking windows, semi-circular, keystoned heads and moulded architraves. Pilastered and bracketted corniced 1st floor windows. Lugged rectangular blind panels in 2nd floor. Entablature over each floor. Main modillion cornice. Scrolled consoles support wallhead stack at centre, with decorative carving. S return, snecked rubble, by pend leading to Virginia
REAR: projecting bay to S; 5 remaining bays with stair window flanked by windows at ground and 1st floor. Plate-glass glazing to sash and case windows; small-pane at rear.
INTERIOR: library at upper level, galleried with coved ceiling and top lights, all original fittings including bookcases.
Drawings by J Moyr Smith, supervised by Smith. The fittings were by Melvin and Leiper. Stirlings' Library is now housed in the former Royal Exchange, and the earlier building converted to offices, but the Library
hall remains intact.
Other nearby listed buildings