This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8686 / 55°52'7"N
Longitude: -4.2906 / 4°17'26"W
OS Eastings: 256762
OS Northings: 666310
OS Grid: NS567663
Mapcode National: GBR 0CJ.B0
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.2R3D
Plus Code: 9C7QVP95+CQ
Entry Name: Kelvingrove Museum And Art Gallery, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow
Listing Name: Kelvingrove Park, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376463
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33071
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J W Simpson and Milner Allen (London), 1892 (competition) complete 1901; sculpture supervised and partly executed by George Frampton, other sculptors involved, W Birnie Rhind, E G Bramwell, Johann Keller, A McF Shannon, F Derwent Wood, A Falkner. 1, 2 and 3 storeys. Profusely decorated, free classical style museum and art gallery. Mainly symmetrical. Central block with linking sections and pavilions, square towers to angles in each section. Various roof heights, hipped or mansard roofs. 3-storey navicular central block embedded in plan, flanked by tall 4-stage towers at N. Polished ashlar, banded at ground floor, rusticated basement.
Elevation to N: 17 unequal bays arranged 1-5-5-5-1, wings and centre raised and projecting, centre raised and advanced in outer bays. 5-storey entrance porch with parapetted side steps with flanking piers. Central figure sculpture of St Mungo in arched, open niche with sculpted spandrels. 1st floor 6-light arched casement windows. Corner tourelles at 3rd floor with central aedicule, broken pedimented window, section above pedimented with open, arcaded roof lantern. Pedimented 1st floor outer bays with figure sculpture above flanked by tourelles.
Recessed linking sections with 9-light casement windows divided by pilasters, bracketted cornice, balustraded parapet with obelisk die.
Wings: shallow, bowed ground floor window, blind 1st floor, balustraded parapet, thermal window above surmounted by sculpture.
W return: detailing as N elevation in 5 bays with flanking towers.
S elevation to Argyle Street: as N elevation with differing centre. 3-bay single storey porte cochere at head of steps, arched, divided by pilasters, independent cornice, die parapet. 3-storey, 5-bay main section advanced with flanking towers, bays arranged 1-3-1. Mansard roofs to outer bays, segmentally pedimented dormers to centre flanked by 3-light Tuscan column-mullioned windows.
Interior: double volume main hall, galleried, ashlar lined with coupled, blocked columns.
Only permanent building of International Exhibition 1901. Listed category A for high quality of sculpture.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block and The Cameronians Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings