This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8611 / 55°51'40"N
Longitude: -4.2578 / 4°15'28"W
OS Eastings: 258788
OS Northings: 665411
OS Grid: NS587654
Mapcode National: GBR 0KL.ZP
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KYP4
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6R+FV
Entry Name: Daily Record Building, 20, 26, 28 Renfield Lane, Glasgow
Listing Name: 20, 26, 28 Renfield Lane and St Vincent Lane, Former Daily Record Building
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376527
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33099
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
The individuality of the detailing and the use of materials on the Daily Record Building is typical of Mackintosh's emerging style and served to sucessfully distinguish the building against those of rival newspapers. In his design of the elevation on Renfield Lane, Mackintosh drew on Scottish Baronial architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries, as he had done earlier at the Glasgow Herald building. For example, the cantilevered canted bays on the fourth floor echo those on the southern front of Huntly Castle in Aberdeenshire, which dates from around 1600–10 (Mackintosh Architecture).
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.
Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.
Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.
Listed building record revised in 2019.
Other nearby listed buildings