This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8611 / 55°51'39"N
Longitude: -4.2572 / 4°15'26"W
OS Eastings: 258824
OS Northings: 665400
OS Grid: NS588654
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.2Q
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KYZ7
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6V+C4
Entry Name: Cranston's Picture House, 13, 15, 17 Renfield Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 13, 15 and 17 Renfield Street
Listing Date: 15 January 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376529
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33101
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Miller (with Richard M Gunn) 1914-16, reconstructed from earlier building by Thomson and Menzies of 1898. Built as tearoom with accommodation for 847 and small cinema.
Impressive Beaux Arts faience Carrara-ware facade, 5 bays with 1 bay returns, end bays advanced and set in broad plain pilasters. Ground floor largely modernised. 1st floor thermal window with metal balustrade over former cinema entrance, square headed keyblocked windows at corner bays; 2nd and 3rd floors set in giant pilasters, 2nd floor windows square-headed with inset entablatures, 3rd floor windows segment headed and keyblocked under continuous frieze band; 4th floor windows pilastraded (inset at corner bays) with bold mutuled cornice, massively bracketted on front faces of end bays. 5th floor set back as semi-eaves gallery treatment with high relief ornament between windows and bold cornice between the corner bays which rise higher into pavilion features with recessed Doric columns.
Interior: designed by John Ednie in Louis XVI manner fire damaged 1981 and largely destroyed.
Opened May 1916 as Cranston's DeLuxe, the cinema was part of a larger development by Glasgow based businesswoman Miss Cranston, which also included restaurants and tea-rooms. A second cinema, the News Theatre opened 1954; a third (Tatler Cinema Club) also opened in 1969. The complex was sold and renamed the Classic Film Centre in 1972, and closed in 1981 after a fire which led to demolition of all but the façade.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings