This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8632 / 55°51'47"N
Longitude: -4.2554 / 4°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 258944
OS Northings: 665630
OS Grid: NS589656
Mapcode National: GBR 0LK.GZ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.LWTM
Plus Code: 9C7QVP7V+7R
Entry Name: Victoria Buildings, 4A West Regent Street, 4 , Glasgow
Listing Name: 4, 4a West Regent Street, and 64-70 (Even Nos) Renfield Street, Victoria Buildings
Listing Date: 21 July 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376874
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33269
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J A Bell (Edinburgh), 1858-60. Scots Baronial/Flemish style
commercial building. 3 storeys, basement and attic; modern
shops to ground floor at Renfield Street; ground floor and
basement partially altered at W; 8 x 7 unequal bays. Coursed
ashlar. Elliptically arched entry to No 4 West Regent Street
with cable moulding and outer architrave.
ELEVATION TO WEST REGENT STREET: 6 bays of 2-light windows
with stone mullions, continuous hoodmould with shaped heads;
partially altered ground floor with windows; central canted
window corbelled and rising through 1st and 2nd floors; 4
regulary spaced dormers; crow-stepped gable in central bay
with ball finial; 2nd and 6th bay from W corniced stacks with
sculpted pediment details and sculpted panels below.
ELEVATION TO RENFIELD STREET: 1st and 2nd floors, 7 bays of
single lights, continuous hoodmoulds, sculpted heads at West
Regent Street. Attic with 7 dormers with shaped pediments and
relief sculpted tympana. Oriel window in 1st bay from S, 2nd
floor decoratively machicolated and corbelled, breaking
through cornice with solid, shaped parapet surmounted by ball
finials; crow-stepped gable above pierced with attic light
with banded, elliptical arch above and sculpted tympanum in
shaped pediment. End and axial stacks. Corbelled crow-stepped
gable with corniced stack to Bath Lane. Geometrically
patterned slate roof.
Partly demolished, original building occupying whole block.
Built for Archibald Orr Ewing as business chambers.
Other nearby listed buildings