This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8508 / 55°51'2"N
Longitude: -4.2237 / 4°13'25"W
OS Eastings: 260888
OS Northings: 664191
OS Grid: NS608641
Mapcode National: GBR 0SQ.WD
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.360J
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ2G+8G
Entry Name: Engineering Works, 41 Broad Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 41 Broad Street (Engineering Works)
Listing Date: 23 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377448
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33628
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tripartite arrangement with gabled wallheads to the outer bays and dentilled cornice to the central section. Central bay has a large round-headed window with decorative astragals. E elevation: 25 arch-headed clerestorey windows to upper storey only, several blocked. Abutted by later single-storey building mid-way. Former openings to lower storey now bricked up.
N ELEVATION: blind gable with blocked openings, irregular stepped parapet and 2 later large brick buttresses. W wall obscured by later buildings. A number of windows are now blocked. Some window frames are of original pattern, others altered.
An important part of Glasgow's industrial heritage, the former Broad Street Engineering Works forms a significant component in this formerly heavily industrial area of the city. The building makes use of the basilica form in an industrial context with iron columns and a clerestorey with galleries. A glazed roof maximised lighting and the structural members carried gantries for machinery.
The original client, Mavor & Coulson, was an electrical engineering company, founded in 1881, which moved to this site from nearby Orr Street in 1897. As a result of its pioneering work in the design and manufacture of mining machinery the company expanded and subsequently erected a number of buildings on adjacent sites between Broad Street and Rogart Street over the next 60 years, making it one of the major employers in Bridgeton. The building cost £10,000 in 1896-7 at which time Mavor & Coulson Ltd's work extended abroad and included the wiring and lighting of the world's largest woollen mill near St Petersburg. They were also one of the first British companies to resume trading with Russia after the 1917 Revolution.
Andrew Myles (c1841-1905) was a prominent industrial architect. His many Glasgow commissions, mostly now demolished, included Howe's Sewing Machine Factory (1872) (see separate listing); Fairfield Engine Works Boiler Shop (1872), demolished; St Andrew's Power Station, 1900 (see separate listing). Until circa 1872 he was a partner in A Kennedy, Son & Myles, and was thereafter in practice under his own name. The building has more recently been encorporated into the Brook Street Business Complex at 47 Broad Street.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings