This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8353 / 55°50'7"N
Longitude: -4.2423 / 4°14'32"W
OS Eastings: 259666
OS Northings: 662502
OS Grid: NS596625
Mapcode National: GBR 0PW.3Y
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.TL1G
Plus Code: 9C7QRQP5+43
Entry Name: Sentinel Works, 61-89 Jessie Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 61 Jessie Street, Sentinel Works
Listing Date: 13 May 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377566
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33693
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Langside
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Archibald Leitch, engineer with Brand and Lithgow, architects. Early ferro-concrete pattern store, built on the Hennebique system. Built 1903-1904 for Alley and MacLellan, engineers. 4 storeys, 12 x 3 bays; concrete panel walls, large metal-framed windows, off-centre entrance bay, wide door with 3 tall lights over added circa 1930; classical cornice, flat roof.
REAR: similar, with fire escape cantilevered out on ornate cast-iron brackets.
INTERIOR: free of columns, the load entirely carried by the externally expressed fram. Top floor has extra concrete cross pieces to accommodate shelves of pattern store.
Neglected condition (1989). The first fully reinforced concrete building havinng a ferro-concrete frame and panels, and the third oldest to survive in the UK. This building's trabeated form anticipates the American-inspired daylight factories by Albert Kahn, unlike any similar building in England.
The foundry to the rear is steel framed and of lesser architectural interest. A light railway was used within the foundry. Alley and MacLellan built around 500 'knock down' ships (dismantled and reassembled on inland waters) and developed the Sentinel steam lorry, produced at their branches at Shrewsbury and Worcester. Owned form 1918-37 by Beardmores, and passed to the Weir Group in 1960.
Other nearby listed buildings