This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.845 / 55°50'41"N
Longitude: -4.2198 / 4°13'11"W
OS Eastings: 261107
OS Northings: 663537
OS Grid: NS611635
Mapcode National: GBR 0TS.NG
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.4CT0
Plus Code: 9C7QRQVJ+X3
Entry Name: Dalmarnock Congregational Church, 231 Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 231 Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton Free Church and Hall
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377862
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33825
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: ENTRANCE ELEVATION TO W: Central Art Nouveau doorpiece with entrance with engaged columns and distinctive swept pediment above. Timber panelled entrance doors. 3-light Gothic tracery arched window above. Flanking buttresses surmounted by empty niches. Parapetted stair towers to outer bays.
HALL TO E (Fairbairn Street): near symmetrical, 2-storey and attic, hall with mullioned windows. Tripartite mullioned and transomed windows to ground. Entrance door to far right with 2-light fanlight above. Pair of central gables.
Predominantly leaded glass windows. Grey slates. Polygonal base of former belfry behind front gable. Raised skews to hall.
Place of Worship in use as such.
An important part of Glasgow's architectural history, this church is distinguished by its fine Art Nouveau doorpiece and swept roof. Prominently positioned on a corner site, it adds significantly to the streetscape of the area. The detailing reflects the influence of highly regarded Glasgow architect J J Burnet who moved from Beaux-Arts to Baroque and Free Style designs adopted by many of his contemporaries.
It was built originally for an Evangelical Union congregation as their previous building had been declared unsafe. The Evangelical Union Church united with the Congregational Union in 1896. Gradually the population declined in the area around the church and the congregation subsequently reduced in membership and it closed in 1980. It re-opened later as an Assembly of God Church, who still occupies the building.
John Campbell MacKellar (1859-1941) was a Glasgow based architect whose practice worked on a variety of tenements, commercial, domestic and ecclesiastical buildings. This is one of a number of church buildings he designed. The partnership of MacKellar, Davis & Gunn was formed around 1911.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings