This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8418 / 55°50'30"N
Longitude: -4.2223 / 4°13'20"W
OS Eastings: 260939
OS Northings: 663189
OS Grid: NS609631
Mapcode National: GBR 0TT.4M
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.3FMF
Plus Code: 9C7QRQRH+P3
Entry Name: Warehouse, Barrowfield Weaving Factory, 111 French Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 103-111 (Odd Nos) French Street, 34-66 (Even Nos) Dora Street, (Former Barrowfield Weaving Factory)
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33830
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: largely regular fenestration throughout. Principal elevations to S (French Street). Centre range outer left bay with door and flanking narrow lights under fanlight, tall square-headed roller door at outer right; 2nd floor with ogee-capped bartizans flanking centre pediment; glazed oculus to each return gable. E range (to right) with 2 square-headed roller doors and pedimented roofline at left; gable with glazed oculus on left returns at Dora Street. W range (to left) with 2 deep-set doors, that to right in pointed-arch opening with wallhead stack above, bipartite and tripartite windows, canted oriel window at 1st floor right; decorative polychrome detail between floors and dividing 1st floor bays; piended roof (see Notes). To rear, long series of single storey north-lit weaving sheds.
Largely multi-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in fixed and timber sash and case windows. Some grey slate with horizontal cast iron rooflights and pyramidal ridge ventilators to E range; metal-sheeted roofs elsewhere.
The former Barrowfield Weaving Factory is an important industrial survival in an area which, by the mid 19th century, was a significant centre for weaving, dying and bleaching as well as having chemical and gas works. The factory largely retains its early appearance which effectively uses low relief panelling and blind arcading to make a significant contribution to the streetscape. The principal elevation at French Street is particularly fine and exhibits some very good polychrome decoration. The east range retains its original roof providing light from above with large horizontal rooflights. The taller centre range was originally similarly top-lit. The form of the west range roof has been altered at the Norman Street elevation from a broad gable over the outer (south end) 2 bays.
Barrowfield Weaving Factory was built for John Brown & Son at a cost of £8,300 and formerly encompassed French Street, Dora Street (formerly Jamieson Street), Poplin Street (formerly Adelphi Street) and Norman Street. John Brown & Son is described in the 1915 Commercial Year Book of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce & Manufacturers, as "manufacturers of muslin draperies, Madras muslin and harness muslin". Quality muslin goods provided the Glasgow power-loom industry with a different selling point to the high-volume, low-value cloth coming from the Lancashire cotton industry.
The Dalmarnock area was developed later than neighbouring Bridgeton, with most of its industry introduced after 1860. The remaining evidence of this industrial past is mostly sited to the west of the main Dalmarnock Road.
The architect Miles Septimus Gibson was born in Glasgow in 1849. He commenced practice in 1880, having previously acted as supervising architect with Thomas Wilson at St Enoch's Railway Station and Hotel. He designed a number of churches for the Episcopal diocese of Glasgow, and in 1902 extended the now demolished Clutha Weaving Factory in nearby Carstairs Street, also for John Brown & Son.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings