This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8461 / 55°50'45"N
Longitude: -4.2233 / 4°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 260892
OS Northings: 663663
OS Grid: NS608636
Mapcode National: GBR 0SS.Y2
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.3B55
Plus Code: 9C7QRQWG+CM
Entry Name: Sacred Heart Church, 52 Old Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 50-56 (Even Nos) Old Dalmarnock Road, Church of the Sacred Heart Including Gatepiers and Presbytery
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377926
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33855
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical with triple-arched entrance to ground; giant Diocletian window set between giant Ionic pilasters with sculpture of St. Andrew and St. Patrick and figure of Christ to supporting pedimented gable, flanking stair towerlets with Baroque caps.
S AND N ELEVATIONS: giant Diocletian windows to each 3-bay flank.
INTERIOR: 3-bay with paired marble Ionic columns; sumptuous use of white marble to chancel with columns supporting timber baldachino. Passage aisles flanked by fluted pilasters. Figure of Christ by Jack Mortimer over altar.
Multi-pane leaded glazing pattern with some figurative coloured glass. Grey slates.
PRESBYTERY TO N: 3-storey, 3-bay with top floor above main cornice and with gabled dormerheads and chamfered openings, roll-moulded openings below; grey rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
GATEPIERS: iron-railed low boundary wall to street, square gatepiers.
Place of worship currently in use as such (2010).
The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart is a particularly fine example of an early 20th century Romanesque Basilica in Glasgow characterised by its giant Diocletian window and flanking Baroque-capped stair towers. The unusual and high quality exterior design is complemented by a very fine interior which incorporates an important fresco by Charles Baillie, as well as the adjacent presbytery by architects Pugin and Pugin.
The Sacred Heart Mission, Bridgeton, was formed in 1873 with a timber church mission hall opening in 1874. This building was replaced by the present building in the same site. The ceiling is now partly segmental as a result of major structural alterations carried out by renowned 20th century church architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia from 1953-54. The church has a capacity of 800.
Charles J Menart was a Belgian born architect who specialised in a Roman-Baroque style working primarily for the Archdioceses of Glasgow and Aberdeen. Key among his other commissions include St Aloysius' Church in Garnethill, Glasgow and St Thomas's in Keith, Banffshire (see separate listings).
The village of Bridgeton was established in 1776 with the burgeoning cotton industry and resultant influx of people to the city. Since 1705 the area had been known as Barrowfield but became Bridgeton when the Rutherglen Bridge was built along with a new road to the north boundary, now known as Bridgeton Cross. The advent of steam power and increased mechanisation at the end of the 18th century led to the construction of many mills as well as associated textile industries such as dyeworks and bleachfields in Bridgeton. The area became the industrial suburb of Glasgow and was annexed to the city in 1847.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010
Other nearby listed buildings