This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8562 / 55°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.2276 / 4°13'39"W
OS Eastings: 260658
OS Northings: 664795
OS Grid: NS606647
Mapcode National: GBR 0SN.2G
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.123F
Entry Name: Graham Square/Bellgrove Street/14-28 Melbourne Street/Moore Street Meat and Cattle Markets,and Associated Buildings
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377889
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33842
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Built mostly to the design of John Carrick, City architect, 1866-75; some ranges c.1910 by AB MacDonald, City Engineer; elements may be earlier (also post-war additions within boundary). A huge comlex, comprising cattle and dead meat markets and associated buildings, now largely demolished with principal entrance facades retained.
At NE, covered open area (used as car market), mostly 1866, 4 roof pitches (possibly conceived as a nave-and-aisles arrangement as roof span 2nd from south is the widest; N range seemingly of different date); cast iron columns, iron and steel roof framing, slated and glazed.
GATEWAY in to the above, terminating N end of Graham Square, is a columned enormous centre gateway, with flanking pedestrian openings; all cleaned ashlar, with channelling; alongside, on W side of Graham Square, the retained, painted ashlar facade of the MEAT MARKET (c.1875). Classical, also with giant order 2 colossal frames to round-arched gateway, parapet conceals roof (now removed); another gateway of similar type and scale straddles Moore Street, to W; a smaller heavily- rusticated gateway is on the channelled ashlar boundary wall to Bellgrove Street.
Fronting Melbourne Street (ie at W - originally Hill Street); at N end, a lengthy expanse of painted, ashlar channelled wall terminating in last surviving building, single-storey, in similar material with attic (attic may not be original). Gateway with 2 massive piers, wrought iron gates bearing city crest, much of this latter-mentioned work being designed by MacDonald. Remaining building now used by Intercity Motor Auctions.
Site for new live-cattle market purchased at Graham Square from William Lawrie, in March 1816, and earliest buildings at site erected thereafter.
As completed on opening on 3 October 1911, the complex was huge, enclosing the greater part of Graham Square, Moore Street (its line becoming the "Main Passage") and Armour Street, with pens, lairages and killing rooms extending so far as Duke Street. There were also facilities such as baths, and a gymnasium, while The North British Railway line ran directly underneath.
Other nearby listed buildings