This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8474 / 55°50'50"N
Longitude: -4.231 / 4°13'51"W
OS Eastings: 260414
OS Northings: 663825
OS Grid: NS604638
Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.DM
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Z9D5
Plus Code: 9C7QRQW9+XH
Entry Name: 12 James Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 97-113 (Odd Nos) Greenhead Street 2-12 (Even Nos) James Street, 100 Tullis Street
Listing Date: 6 March 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377904
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33846
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: S BLOCK: principal Greenhead Street (W) elevation (bays grouped 1-3-1, 1-2-1 above ground) with bipartites at bays 1, 5, 6 and 9, ground floor bays at right painted. Similarly detailed (above ground) 3-bay elevation to Tullis Street. N BLOCK: principal Greenhead Street (W) elevation with blind windows over close openings (at bays 3 and 10), these and flanking windows with triangular block pediments. 9 bays to James Street similarly detailed with corniced doorpiece at No 2 and bipartites to outer bays at No 12.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped stacks with cans. Cast iron railings set into dwarf wall at principal elevation.
The long row of dignified tenements at 97-113 Greenhead Street is complemented by those at Nos 117-127 across the road at Tullis Street (see separate listing). When originally built these two fine classically-detailed buildings overlooked the open space of the King's Park area of Glasgow Green, developed in the 20th century to form a bowling green and War Memorial garden. The public house at 100 Tullis Street is known as 'The Bowlers'.
The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that plans of the 'Layout of Greenhead Street', dated 1868, are signed by John Carrick, Glasgow City Architect. Carrick became Glasgow's Superintendent of Streets in 1844, he was appointed Master of Works circa 1854 and was City Architect from 1862-69.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings