This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8216 / 55°49'17"N
Longitude: -4.2861 / 4°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 256875
OS Northings: 661072
OS Grid: NS568610
Mapcode National: GBR 3Q.6BRB
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.4X9Y
Plus Code: 9C7QRPC7+JH
Entry Name: Church Hall, St. Margaret's Church, 355 Kilmarnock Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 351-355 (Odd Nos) Kilmarnock Road and Newlands Road, St Margaret`s Episcopal Church and Halls, Including Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378082
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33926
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Peter MacGregor Chalmers; Scots/German neo-Romanesque church, designed 1895, built in stages as follows; hall and vestries 1908, nave and porch 1911-12, chancel 1922-2; tower completed 1934-5 by Gordon Galloway of Whyte and Galloway (Chalmers died 1922). Long flank to Newlands Road, nave, gable roofed S side aisle; nave gable to Langside Road has spirelets over angles, tall apse with open arcade below eaves (apse at E gable also); square tower is almost detached, placed to left of nave gable, ghas 4 stages, main entrance at foot, open belfry stage at top; to left of tower, beyond, open archway links to gabled HALL, which has 3 stepped lights in gable to street. All built of rock-faced snecked grey ashlar, polished dressings, round-arched lights, mostly with recessed margins, green slate roofs.
INTERIOR: walls also snecked ashalr, nave has timber barrel-vault, aisle arcades, mosaics in apses. Some figurative leaded glass windows, 3 windows by Morris and Company, sanctuary windows by Powell and Son, 1950, 3 windows by Gordon Webster 1950-4.
Enclosed by wrought-iron railings, plain widely-spaced rails, slightly more ornament at gates and railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings