This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9426 / 55°56'33"N
Longitude: -4.7263 / 4°43'34"W
OS Eastings: 229828
OS Northings: 675528
OS Grid: NS298755
Mapcode National: GBR 0F.YL5N
Mapcode Global: WH2MB.CWLQ
Plus Code: 9C7QW7VF+2F
Entry Name: Sugar Warehouse, James Watt Dock, East Hamilton Street, Greenock
Listing Name: Warehouse (Clyde Port Authority) East Hamilton Street, Cartsdyke
Listing Date: 8 December 1976
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378392
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34172
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde East Central
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Built c. 1885. Long warehouse, with high first storey, built of red brick with arches, pilaster-strips and window-margins in yellow brick. At west end is a 4-storey and loft block 7 bays wide, the bays being separated by pilaster-strips; Central bay has door at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, with hoist over. To East of this block is a 2-storey, 18-bay range; windows are grouped in recessed arches in 9 pairs each with gable over
(containing circular window). To East of this range is another 4-storey, 7-bay block followed by another 2-storey range, 22 bays wide, windows grouped in 11 pairs, the E. end having 6 recessed arches. The gable-ends of the 4-storey blocks have 8 stepped recessed arches.
Built beside the contemporary James Watt Dock which was built by John Waddell Edinburgh to the design of W R Kinniple. Upgraded to Cat A, 20/3/87.
Other nearby listed buildings