This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0308 / 56°1'50"N
Longitude: -3.3982 / 3°23'53"W
OS Eastings: 312965
OS Northings: 682872
OS Grid: NT129828
Mapcode National: GBR 20.S4HL
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.SP02
Plus Code: 9C8R2JJ2+8P
Entry Name: Bank, 35-37 High Street, Inverkeithing
Listing Name: 35, 37 High Street, Royal Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379550
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35101
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
John Ross McKay, 1934. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan bank with private dwelling (former bank manager's house) above. Diagonally droved ashlar (Cullaloe stone), channelled at ground floor, closely set joints at 1st floor. Base course; corniced string and eaves courses. Moulded window margins and doorways. Channelled pilastered quoins. Engaged Roman Doric colonnade; box dormers. Fine oak panelled bank interior with decorative fireplace and stone chimneypiece.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 central engaged Roman Doric columns; 3 plate glass windows set between columns. Moulded doorways with 2-leaf timber panelled doors to outer bays. 5 evenly spaced 1st floor windows. 2 bipartite box dormers with slate cheeks and timber cornices.
N ELEVATION: adjoins Nos 33, 31 High Street.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bays, left-hand (stairwell) bay recessed. Central 2-bay advanced flat-roof extension at ground floor; doorway left; window to right; small flat-roof shed advanced to far right. 4 1st floor windows (that to far left lower). Single window between 1st and attic floors to far left. Corniced bipartite box-dormer off-centre right; roof-light to left.
S ELEVATION: adjoins Nos 39, 41 High Street.
12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to E; 6-pane timber sash and case window to dormers and secondary windows to rear. Pitched roof; Ballachulish slates; stepped ashlar stacks; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: weathered oak panelling, fireplace and stone chimneypiece to telling room; late 20th century teller's desk with glazing to ceiling. Manager's office to rear, oak panelled to dado level.
This branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland was originally built for the National Bank of Scotland. The National Bank merged with the Commercial Bank of Scotland in 1959 and finally the National Commmercial bank merged with the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1969. The first branch of the National Bank openened in Inverkeithing on 9 May 1911 but was located on a different site. In the early 1930s the National Bank sought bigger premises in a more prominent part of the burgh. The bank purchased the present High Street site, demolishing the existing building. The bank recruited J R McKay RSA FRIBA FRIAS (1884-1961), a prolific Edinburgh architect who would go on to join the prominent firm of Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson in 1938. McKay was an important commercial architect and was well known for modern inter-war designs for a number of cinemas, private housing, and for a series of garages for the Scottish Motor Traction Company. His most recognised building however is for Binns Department store, 144-147 Princes Street, Edinburgh (today known as Fraser's ' see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings