This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0313 / 56°1'52"N
Longitude: -3.3957 / 3°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 313123
OS Northings: 682926
OS Grid: NT131829
Mapcode National: GBR 20.S527
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.TN6P
Plus Code: 9C8R2JJ3+GP
Entry Name: Rosebery House, 9 King Street, Inverkeithing
Listing Name: 9 King Street, Rosebery House, Including Well, Marriage Lintel to Back Garden, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379554
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35106
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
16th century; altered and extended in 17th and 18th centuries. 3-storey and attic (2-storeys to N) L-plan town house; 19th century ashlar single storey Gothic detailed former doctor's surgery adjoining to NW corner. Rendered; painted margins; some stone cills to house. 16th century block (parallel to King Street): vaulted ground floor with Gothic arched openings (forming 1st phase of construction); pilastered doorpiece; lean-to roof. 1705-1711, W wing (parallel to Port Street): part vaulted ground floor; crowstepped gable to S and part to N; cat-slide dormers to SW.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Central Doric pilastered doorway, triglyphed and bracketed entablature, bat-wheel fanlight, timber panelled door; single windows to left; small window to far right. 4 unevenly spaced 1st floor windows. FORMER SURGERY (projecting from SW): single storey. droved rybats; base and eaves courses. Gothic arched hoodmoulded doorway; flanking chamfered windows of similar style. Slate roof.
W ELEVATION: 2 1st floor windows; 3 cat-slide dormers; 2 cast-iron roof lights.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 1705-1711 section: central ground floor window (former door); 2 1st floor windows; 1 2nd floor window off-centre right; 2 square attic windows. Single windows at ground, 1st and 2nd floors to right return. Main 16th century block: full-height flat-roofed stair tower extension with lean-to porch; irregular glazing pattern; roll-moulded architrave at 1st floor window to right.
E ELEVATION: lean-to gable; ground falling to E. Small square 3rd floor window to left.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows at ground and 1st floors; 4- and 12-pane timber sash and case (and some tilt top) windows to 3rd floor. Lean-to roof to main block; pitched roof to 1705-1711 wing; grey slates. Coped rendered gablehead and ridge stacks; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: stone flags to S entrance; vaulted ground floor with Gothic arched, roll-moulded openings; large kitchen-fireplace at 1st floor of main block. Most rooms subdivided in 20th century to provide rooming house accommodation.
OUTBUILDING: low-pitched lean-to single storey former stable to E. Tooled, squared rubble.
WELL: circular random rubble draw-well in former courtyard to SE.
MARRIAGE LINTEL: ashlar block inscribed and dated '17 J D B F 17' forming seat for bench next to well (formerly part of demolished garden house).
BOUNDARY WALLS and GATEPIERS: droved and coped square-plan ashlar gatepiers. Random-rubble coped walls to E, W and remains of wall to rear.
B-group with Rosebery Doocot (see separate listing). Possibly the earliest surviving house in the burgh, the vaulted rooms indicate a date no later than the early 16th century. Stephen speculates that the early core of the house could possibly indicate a 15th century date. The first form of the house consisted of an oblong block parallel to King Street, with an adjoining pend that gave access to a court to the rear. The unusual lean-to roof is locally known as a 'toofall' and would also have been seen at Thomson's House (see separate listing) prior to the addition of a 3rd storey. The house was partially rebuilt during the 17th century and was extended to the W between 1705 and 1711 when it was owned by the Earl of Rosebery. The house was sold by Rosebery to John Dundas and Beatrice Ferguson in 1711. A garden house (demolished in the 2nd half of the 20th century) was formerly located at the end of the garden and bore the inscribed lintel identifying Dundas and Ferguson. 18th century alterations provided classical features such as the Doric doorpiece and stone spiral stair to the E. The house has been used as a boarding house and bed and breakfast accommodation for many years and is still in use as such (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings