History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12 London Road, Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6093 / 55°36'33"N

Longitude: -4.4901 / 4°29'24"W

OS Eastings: 243243

OS Northings: 637895

OS Grid: NS432378

Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MLB8

Mapcode Global: WH3QB.083N

Entry Name: 12 London Road, Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380623

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35935

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmaurs

Description

Circa 1840; later additions, John J Railton, 1875. 2- storey, 3-bay classical villa with screen walls and single storey, terminal bays. Red sandstone ashlar, channelled to ground floor, coursed above; polished dressings and door surround. Coursed and random rubble side elevations and rear extension. Bracketed eaves, cornice and blocking course. Lugged architraves to 1st floor of principal elevation; window margins to side elevations.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ashlar steps leading to central recessed timber panelled door, architraved surround and Doric engaged columned doorpiece. Window to outer bays at ground floor. Band course engaging line of door surround. 3 regularly placed bays with eared architraves to 1st floor. To right, single storey screen wall with former segmental-arched carriage entrance to left, now in-filled to form public entrance to surgery; to right, raised terminal bay with central window, cornice surmounting. To left, single storey screen wall with former segmental-arched carriage entrance to right, now used as vehicular access to rear of surgery; to left, raised terminal bay with blind central window, cornice surmounting.

W ELEVATION: original elevation to right: window to ground floor left; window to 1st floor off centre left. 1875 extension adjoining to left: window to each floor on right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: L-plan: single storey extension adjoining E wing and left bay of ground floor of main house; bipartite window to right. 1st floor arm to right: single window to left, bipartite window to right; window to left of left return. Further window facing N on recessed 1st floor of main house.

E ELEVATION: original ground floor elevation concealed behind much later in-fill with pyramidal glass roof. Blind 1st floor to main building.

2-pane timber sash and case windows; 4-pane timber sash and case windows to W elevation. Piended and platformed grey slate roof; metal ridging and flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, gutters concealed by bracketed eaves cornice, downpipes to W and N elevations. 2 symmetrically placed, harled and moulded roofline stacks; 6 tall hexagonal cans to each.

INTERIOR: remodelled for use as doctor's surgery; upper floor not seen, 2001.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coursed ashlar wall with rectangular copes to front of house; terminating in taller, ashlar panelled gatepiers, each with a moulded cope, underside of which matches bracketed eaves of house; driveway to flanks. Outer piers mismatched, belonging to adjacent properties.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Dick Institute, 10 London Road and 14 London Road. London Road leads out of Kilmarnock to the east. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. In 1875, John J Railton designed the additions to this building. He was the son of local architect William Railton, best remembered for his Court House (now Procurator Fiscal's Office) on St Marnock Street and the now demolished Kilmarnock Infirmary. John worked out of his St Marnock Place office. The villa was converted to form a doctors' practice, the use in which it remains today.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.