This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6082 / 55°36'29"N
Longitude: -4.4858 / 4°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 243509
OS Northings: 637755
OS Grid: NS435377
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MMBP
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.295K
Plus Code: 9C7QJG57+7M
Entry Name: 38 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 36 and 38 London Road
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380627
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35938
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1840; later additions, Andrew & Newlands, 1903. 2-storey, 4-bay, semi-detached pair of rectangular-plan classical villas; extended to rear. Painted coursed sandstone ashlar to front, painted rubble to sides; polished ashlar dressings, now painted. Side windows with projecting sills. Corniced with low parapet.
SW (PRINCIPAL, LONDON ROAD) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay, the end bays slightly advanced and flanked by giant pilasters rising from plinth and supporting cornice and blocking course. Regularly placed ground floor windows with architraves; matching 1st floor windows with entablatures and recessed apron panels. String course between ground and 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: No. 36: low stone walls flanking central simple corniced door; long window to right bay, shorter window to left bay; further smaller window to extreme left. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays. Advanced blind end of rear extension adjoining to left, single storey wall running NW on right containing boarded timber door and garage door.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
SE ELEVATION: No. 38: central Ionic entrance portico, columned to front, engaged pilasters to rear supporting entablature with plain frieze and moulded cornice. Long blind window to left bay, shorter window to right bay; door to extreme right behind low projecting wall. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays, central bay tripartite. Advanced blind end of rear extension adjoining to right, single storey wall running SE on left containing boarded timber doors.
Mostly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, horned upper sashes. Replacement window of squared quarry above ornate portico and to right. Piended and platformed grey slate roof. Partial aluminium and tiled ridging, aluminium flashing to both. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods; gutters partially concealed by eaves, downpipes concealed in re-entrant angles of main pilasters. Paired yellow brick stacks to central roofline of house; each with moulded stone neck copes and 4 tall, ornate cans. Further stacks to rear elevation.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001; but in private residential use.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. This building is unusual, as it is a double villa. No. 38 has the more ornate entrance of the two and it is here that William Railton, architect of the Kilmarnock Infirmary and the Procurator Fiscal's Office, lived with his widowed mother. Railton, although born in the Gorbals and initially trained in architecture in Glasgow, returned to his mother's birth place after the death of his father John, a law agent. By 1861, however, he was married to Isabella and living in Dundonald Road. Both villas have, in the late 19th and early 20th century, been extended to the rear. Andrew & Newlands, a local architectural firm carried out some of these additions.
Other nearby listed buildings