This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.608 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -4.4852 / 4°29'6"W
OS Eastings: 243547
OS Northings: 637733
OS Grid: NS435377
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MMH4
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.29GP
Plus Code: 9C7QJG57+5W
Entry Name: 42 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 42 London Road (Formerly Hafton) Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380634
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35941
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1869 - 1879. 2-storey, 3 asymmetrical bay, Italianate villa with Ionic porch in re-entrant angle; single storey, L-plan wing adjoining to right with walled courtyard. Sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Ground floor windows with flat heads; 1st floor windows with semi-circular heads on fluted pilasters and columns. Base course, dentilled and modillioned cornice; blocking course, continuing on remaining elevations.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 ashlar steps leading to Ionic distyle in antis portico in re-entrant angle, carved tympanum with acroteria angularia. Inset 2-leaf timber panelled door with glazed upper panels and arched fanlight surmounting. Arched bipartite window to 1st floor above portico. To left bay: shallow squared projection with tripartite window to ground floor; matching arched and pilastered tripartite window to 1st floor resting on corbelled course. To advanced right bay, 2-storey canted bay window with bipartite window in central light and single windows to sides; matching arched and pilastered windows to 1st floor with recessed panels below. Single storey, single bay, wing to right: arched tripartite window to centre; lower, blind wall adjoining to right (see SE ELEVATION for further description of wing).
NW ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay with boundary wall partially concealing ground floor, window to centre where single storey, gabled glass house used to stand. To 1st floor, paired pilastered arched windows to centre, right one blind; matching arched window to outer bays.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay, shallow U-plan elevation. Door to central bay with small window adjacent to right; large tripartite staircase window directly above extending full height of 1st floor. To advanced right bay, 3-sided canted bay window to ground floor, bipartite window to centre, single windows to sides; to 1st floor, arched tripartite window. To advanced left bay, tall central window with narrow light to flanks; arched bipartite window to 1st floor. Adjoining to left, rear multi-bayed elevation of single story wing, partially concealed by much later boundary wall.
SE ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay main house with single storey wing concealing ground floor. To 1st floor of house, paired pilastered arched windows to centre; matching arched window to outer bays, both now blind with central stone transoms. To ground floor, 2-bay by 2-bay projecting L-plan wing, bipartite window to end bay. Angle enclosed by ashlar walls with corniced copes, pair of taller, squared ashlar gatepiers with corniced caps; later 2-leaf timber gate between.
2-pane, timber, sash and case windows; horned upper sashes to both storeys, also arched to 1st floor. Some stained glass to rear tripartite staircase window. Piended grey slate roof. Aluminium ridging, flashings and valleys. Cast-iron rainwater goods; gutters concealed behind cornice, downpipes to SE elevation with cast-iron rectangular hoppers with triangular bases. Panelled and corniced ashlar roofline stacks with paired cans. Formerly matched pairs of wallhead stacks to side elevations, but now lowered to base course level. Smaller ashlar roofline stack to arm of single storey wing, corniced with 2 plain cans.
INTERIOR: pair of tall Corinthian columns to partially panelled entrance hall. Timber panelled internal doors. Timber panelling flanking windows, French doors and some walls. Ornate timber and marble fireplaces and over-mantels. Decorative plaster panelled ceilings, cornices and ceiling roses; timber picture rails to some rooms. Varnished timber staircase with ornate turned newel post.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: outer boundary wall altered; single course to main road; coursed, lowered rubble wall to SE elevation; gatepiers decorated with acroteria; much later harled wall to rear of property. Courtyard walls and gatepiers: see SE ELEVATION.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. This is one of the larger villas on London Road and it was built to a very high quality. The villa stands on what used to be a nursery. This extended from the boundary wall of No. 40 to the substantial villas of Nurseryhill and Viewvilla. Originally, the villa was called Hafton and remains little-altered. Hugh Barnet owned the villa in the 1930's. He was a Writer at the firm "Hugh Barnet and Co.", solicitors in Kilmarnock. Listed as a good example of a 19th century Italianate villa.
Other nearby listed buildings