This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.608 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -4.4856 / 4°29'8"W
OS Eastings: 243522
OS Northings: 637733
OS Grid: NS435377
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MMCV
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.298P
Plus Code: 9C7QJG57+5Q
Entry Name: 40 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 40 and 40a London Road, Formerly Elmslie
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380633
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35940
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1835. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical villa. Finely stugged sandstone ashlar with polished dressings and quoins; coursed rubble to sides. Deep base course; cornice and low plain parapet. Architraved window surrounds with projecting sills to principal elevations.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: low ashlar walls with flat copes, terminating in squared piers with moulded cushioned caps, flanking 4 wide stairs leading to central entrance. Portico: pair of Doric columns with matching engaged pilasters to rear supporting entablature with prominent angle quoins; 2-leaf, panelled timber door within architraved surround. Window flanking to outer bay with partially concealed matching windows at basement; 3 regularly placed bays to 1st floor. Eaves cornice and low parapet surmounting.
NW ELEVATION: to ground floor, central door with plain margined surround, blocked window to left bay; blind elevation to 1st floor.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: ground floor partially concealed by boundary wall; regularly fenestrated to 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: ground floor partially concealed by boundary wall; blind elevation to 1st floor, central wallhead stack.
Replacement 2-pane timber sash and case windows to ground floor of SW elevation; late 20th century, metal framed, 2-pane double glazed units to 1st floor. Piended grey slate roof with aluminium ridging and flashing. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods; gutters concealed by moulded cornices, downpipes to side elevations. Formerly pair of coursed ashlar, central wallhead stacks to side elevations; tall with corniced copes; tall shaped cans surmounting, some now missing, NW stack now removed.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001; in use as private residential flats.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. This villa was originally called "Elmslie", recalling the elm trees that once lined London Road - other houses named "The Elms" and "Elmbank" were sited where the Dick Institute now stands. In the 1930's, the villa was the home to Stuart Park, an artist. This villa has now been divided into flats. There is an outbuilding to the rear, contemporary with the house, adjacent to the boundary wall with Nos. 36 & 38. A low boundary wall runs along the front of the boundary with openings for vehicles to left and right. Angle piers in the wall are shared with neighbouring properties.
Other nearby listed buildings