History in Structure

The Kelvin Hotel, 1-3 Cawdor Place, Shore Street, Oban

A Category B Listed Building in Oban, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4111 / 56°24'39"N

Longitude: -5.4756 / 5°28'32"W

OS Eastings: 185682

OS Northings: 729737

OS Grid: NM856297

Mapcode National: GBR DCVS.4MZ

Mapcode Global: WH0GK.V4R0

Plus Code: 9C8PCG6F+CQ

Entry Name: The Kelvin Hotel, 1-3 Cawdor Place, Shore Street, Oban

Listing Name: 1-7 (Inclusive Nos) Shore Street, Cawdor Place Including the Kelvin Hotel

Listing Date: 16 May 1995

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 384340

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38860

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200384340

Location: Oban

County: Argyll and Bute

Town: Oban

Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Tagged with: Hotel

Find accommodation in


Early 19th century, 2-storey traditional 21-bay terrace, composed of

7 3-bay houses. Narrower plan at No 4 giving recess to rear elevation suggesting of later erection linking 2 earlier blocks. Stugged ashlar street elevation with droved ashlar dressings, coursed rubble rear and side elevations with droved dressings. All elevations painted. Regular fenestration. Projecting window cills. Nos 1, 2, 5, and 6, entrance doors in bay 3 of elevation; Nos 3 and 7, in bay 1 of elevation. Central entrance doors to elevations of Nos 4 and 5. Greek Doric doorpiece to No 5, partially fluted columns with plain capitals,

block pediment over. Small bracketted timber canopies over doorways to Nos 2, 3 and 7.

12-pane timber sash and case windows at front and rear of Nos 1-3 and at rear elevations of Nos 4-6. Plate glass timber sash and case windows at N elevation of Nos 4-6. Modern glazing at No 7. Piend-roofed, slate-hung dormers, tripartite at No 1, bipartite at No 2, canted at No 5, single elsewhere, mostly 4-pane timber sash and case except 12-pane timber sash and case to front and rear of No 2.

Grey slate roof with lead covered skews to W of Nos 2 and 5, skew copes at end gables. Multiple-flue stacks remaining except for that between Nos 6 and 7.

Statement of Interest

This is the remaining half of Shore Street, the E range having been demolished in 1909, when the new post office was built. Door surround at No 5 has been removed from No 4, originally forming centrepiece of terrace. The windows at Nos 1-3 (Kelvin Hotel) appear to have their original glass. As the chimney stacks survive, this makes these houses the most intact survivors of the early 19th century planned town. Dean of Guild Court plans record alterations for John Wilson, Crown Hotel

(presumably the now the Kelvin Hotel) by James Begg 1896.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.